Fakes Toshiba 2N3773 photos ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ESP took their photos down.

If it says 'Toshiba' and 2N3773 it's probably a fake.

I got some of these fakes a few years ago and the amplifiers I put tem in wouldn't run more than an hour or two before failing again.

I only buy ON Semiconductor from an authorized distributor and only in the original 100 lot packaging. Cheaper in the long run.

The ones painted red over the case, you can remove paint using your nails

Those are fake...clearly fake.... ink quality is bad...they have no weigth...alike empty cases.

Those ones, are so clearly fakes that i can imagine that they could paint "FAKE" into the case...so obvious they are.

They also are cheap..so invitation to the ones want "to have advantage" to be fooled.... some of them deserve that, because they try to buy things by 1/4 of the price, they deserve another fox to eat the fox.

2N3773 are "heavy duty" transistors..can hold 30 amperes or more...also a good maximum voltage...they are heavy into construction too.... the case is not ligth aluminium...just holding it you feel if they are fake or not.

Observe the image... one of our brasilian kits..costing 25 dollares... can those transistors not be fake, when the total price is low this way?

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• brazilian kit... 25 dollares each..jpg
    brazilian kit... 25 dollares each..jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,478
That's the point, I don't think Toshiba ever made parts with the JEDEC numbering system.

Another point:

Remember those Solitron 2N3773s I gave you?

They're hometaxial, fine for linear power supplies, but stone slow for amplifiers. The current shoot-through when the amplifier clipped was really bad.

We need epitaxial 2N3773s for amplifiers (4Mhz).

Carlos:

The one on the right is an obvious fake, wrong date code for a Motorola part, and the markings are rotated by 90*, who knows about the other one?

Since it is a quasi-comp amp, they could get genuine ON Semiconductor MJ15015 (180W SOA at 60V) for only $1.13 each.

If you wanted to go all out, the MJ21195/96 are only $1.86 each.

jaycee said:
It is a fake... Toshiba have confirmed that they have never manufactured ANY "2N" devices, and not the 2N3773.
I have found on datasheetarchive an old photo of 2N3055 Toshiba.
Perhaps in past Toshiba built these on license.

(I have bought many 2N3055 Toshiba (same red label of 3773) :dead: )

the ON 2N3055 have a copper base between silicon chip and external base.
http://ck703.altervista.org/immagini/2N3055AA.JPG
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the Toshiba 2N3055 silicon chip is directly mounted on metal base.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A very beloved good friend we had in the past

Wonderfull units.... the best ones, huge units, good case, good metal, heavy, fine construction and good performance.

Some of those folks could go to 4 Megahertz, informations from Klaas...the "H" units could go to 4 Megahertz, other numbers worked to 1 and 2 Megahertz only.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 2n3055h_rca.jpg
    2n3055h_rca.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,246
jaycee said:
It is a fake... Toshiba have confirmed that they have never manufactured ANY "2N" devices, and not the 2N3773.
what!
I have various ages of amplifiers fitted with Toshiba To3 2n3773 transistors going back to the late 70s.
I have a copy of Toshiba's datasheet from the 80s.
Toshiba must have a very short memory or you asked the wrong question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.