Sziklai output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made few amps based on this schematics (call it clone Wink ) because I really liked the sound of the original. Every time i had nasty oscillations what were solved with playing with caps values. This time I have no luck. I think that this is Sziklai output (correct me if I'm wrong) and It's one of disadvantages of that design. I would like to hear about your idea... What can i do to get rid of problems?
BTW, I can't find Sanken's models so on the sim schemo are much slower Onsemi substitute Confused;)

BTW, I already posted this thread on some other forum but still have no real suggestion. Only thing I know is that I have no enough knowledge to modify this circuit. One solution is to skip Sziklai output and solve oscillations problem, but it will be great if I can keep the sonic:cannotbe:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shot at 2007-08-11

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Moby,
Try using a zobel network on your output. All leads and traces need to be short at your output transistors as well.

You may need some C-B caps on your outputs a well and the first transistors are too big and slow. Try using MJE1503x types there for less capacitance and more speed.

-Chris

Thanks for reply. Ok about zobel, but this topology at full swing runs first transistors for about 25w. Regarding speed ,they are 35mhz . I forget to mention that I used 2sa1295/2sc3264 .

I don't understand what will do C-B caps on output tr:(

FWIW I've managed to get one of these working. The devices used are 2SA5171 / 2SC1930 (drivers) and Hitachi lateral mosfets for outputs. For best results the drivers need to be as fast as possible and you need to add gate resistors to control the gain roll off of the mosfets. 100 ohms worked well in my design and I'm using 2 devices in parallel per side. Without the gate resistors there was a very nice 300MHz oscillation but with the gate resistors added I can't see anything on the CRO within a 500MHz bandwidth driving resistive or speaker loads.

You may ask does it sound good? The answer is yes, very.
I built an amplifier with this output stage for my next door neighbour and he is over the moon. sounds smooth as silk like a class A but punches like a big AB and runs cold with just 100mA quiescent.

The biggest problem with the Sziklai is that making the design work well on paper/simulator is only half of the challenge. The Sziklai output stage is very sensitive to PCB layout... so you may have a design that works great in theory, but oscillates like crazy when you make it for real.

Personally, I prefer the triple darlington :)

:( Only thing I don't know is how to treat BJT's since you described Mosfet situation. Yes, this topology sounds kind of A class. Only way I can do is to put cap over output to inv input of op-amp but I have an impression that I will ruined the sound that way. Some local compensation is needed but I don't know what. Oh I forget to mention, this is not just drawing this is real AMP I made that completely but have that issues stated before:confused:

Moby said:
:( Only thing I don't know is how to treat BJT's since you described Mosfet situation.

At first glance I thought you were using mosfets but the situation is same for BJT. Try first a small amount of resistance in series with each base of the output devices (ie 10 ohms). Alternatively you could use a single ferrite bead. And yes layout is very important. and it's important regardless of topology to keep supply impedance low. I tend to use an independant RF groundplane for this purpose to avoid stability problems.

I have some progress with this. I think that I will solve the problems, but need some time and clear mind. It's really acting crazy in the real world. It's sensitive to internal cabling, grounding and lot of other details. HUH!!!!:hot: If you have some more ideas don't hesistate to suggest:angel:

Hi i seem to remeber an old wireless world article which aluded to a problem with this type of output stage and it stated with bipolars that the stage could oscillate if the drivers had an ft of greater than 20 times that of the outputs the circiut would in effect become a phase shift oscillator maybe this might jog someone elses memory iwill try to dig up the article to verify this.
Regards P.Allan.

Hi i seem to remeber an old wireless world article which aluded to a problem with this type of output stage and it stated with bipolars that the stage could oscillate if the drivers had an ft of greater than 20 times that of the outputs the circiut would in effect become a phase shift oscillator maybe this might jog someone elses memory iwill try to dig up the article to verify this.

In this project drivers are same like outputs, but it will be nice to see article.

Nexus, schematics is on the top of the topic. Or you asking for something else:confused:

Hi,
the CFP has a strong tendency to oscillate mostly when global negative feedback is also used.
As pointed out above it is rather the bandwidth of the main output transistor that should be limited (which provides the local feedback to the driver).
Of course increasing its base-collector capacitance externally is an undesired and very ugly way but probably the most effective.
In this context I wonder if the emitter circuitry of the driver is designed optimally.

Randy Sloanes book talks about this issue on page 203
He goes on to say that the problem can be solved by using driver transistors with low capacitance, in his example he uses 2SB649 and 2SD669.

On this basis using the same devices for the drivers as the output is a cause for concern :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.