Faulty Sansui BA-F1 could use some help

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Fixed it. That’s the good part.
The less good part is that I have no idea what was wrong. The connector L/M going to the protection circuit 02/04 was loose and after fixing that the amp worked. I have no explanation for that.

As for the sound, it is very detailed and the amp separates the instruments fairly good.
But I find it aggressive in the mids. I prefer the smoother and more musical sound of the AlephX which I compared it with. :) Also, the BA3000 sounds nicer to my ears.
It has however impressive specs, is very well build and is still perfectly well aligned.
I found 1.2mV offset and the bias was still 18mV instead of 20mV after all these years.

I leave it to EchoWars to post the link as the effort to upload it was his. :)

/Hugo

Attachments

• baf11.jpg
    baf11.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 407
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi lumanauw,
Other amps that use a "diamond transistor" type output stage are Marantz 300DC, 170DC and possibly the 240 (I'd have to look). The Nakamichi 620 is also done a similar way. This Sansui is a little different though.

The "signature" of this design is wonderful detail, the most delicate sounds are presented beautifully. I've been working on a variation of this for a few years. A BUF634 is a good model.

Hi Hugh,
Aggressive mids and messy highs can usually be blamed on ceramic capacitors. Bypassing electrolytics with film caps will also help a lot also. Since this is not your amp, out the door she goes! ;)

You might want to do some careful resoldering. This would not surprise me as I've had similar things happen with units this old. I have learned that odd things can happen with old wave soldered joints. Soldering by hand does stand the test of time. Use a touch of flux and clean the board afterwards.

-Chris

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is all stock; no ceramics and almost all electrolytes bypassed. :)
The only PCB not resoldered (so far) is the protection and output relay boards.
I guess it's the signature of the design. Perhaps too much feedback to get those very low distortion figures.

/Hugo

I do also have this Sansui BA-F1 beast, really great.

I did have problems on power supply, as i saw it have two voltage comming, symetrical for main power, and symetrical thrue soem transistors on power supply board, I did set everything except I have distorzion on one channels, and i don't have original output transistors because somebody RIP them.....

Also if someone have schematic of amplifier part can be uploaded here or emailed?

thanks!

Hi! I suppose this thread is obsolete now, but as I recently made a driver-version of this amp, I thought I would share.
Original schematic is enclosed for comparison.
I am looking forward to building this!

:) morten

Attachments

• Sansui_BA-F1.JPG
    Sansui_BA-F1.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Sansui_BA-F1_driver.JPG
    Sansui_BA-F1_driver.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Sansui_BA-F1_driver_PCB.JPG
    Sansui_BA-F1_driver_PCB.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 53