JVC classic receiver find

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately (;)) at the local dump, the electronics recycle drop is right next to the matress disposal. It is a very good thing that my dear wife is so understanding because peeping through the mountain of busted TV sets, I spied a classic '70's silver fascia & tuning dial. The lure was irresistable.

The find is a JVC R-S7 in very good cosmetic shape with all its knobs. Not surprisingly it is not in working condition, but I hope to be able to troubleshoot, given some time to poke around.

Does anyone have information about this receiver? I trawled the 'net a bit - it seems to be a reasonably high quality product for it's time - certainly it has a high quality feel to the controls.

Cheers,

Ed

Hi anatech,

I think I found a service manual available from one of the on-line sources, but forgot to bookmark. Will let you know how that goes.

Anyway, I took the lid off and vacuumed out the inside, which had the usual 30 years of dust. I did a quick check of the transformer windings, PSU diodes and output transistors. Nothing was amiss so I fired up and checked for PSU operation and wild DC offests (I'm never going to be caught out by that again after the Adcom...). No signs of trouble, so hooked up some beater speakers.

She's a runner. Just what I'm looking for at the moment as the tuner seems great, it has a preamp section and a tape loop, so I can use it as a source selector preamp and tuner for the Adcom & Maggies.

Free hi fi is the best!

Cheers,

Ed

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ed,
These were more straight forward in design. Sometimes hard to get to the board. Was it along the rear panel on this one? It may swing down for you.

The tuner cap may need washing out with a non-residue cleaner. Keep that stuff out of trimmer caps and allow the main cap several hours to dry. This should put your stations back in alignment and get rid of any scratching noises when you tune. That's if you have these problems.

-Chris

Well I seem to be in good shape - tuning is pretty accurate and stable. However, it didn't hurt to vacuum out a huge amount of dust. I paid particular attention to the tuning capacitor - a habit formed from time spent playing around with old radios.

During lunch hour today, I hunted out some suitable dial lamps at the local surplus parts place, the originals were all dead. Perhaps this is what caused the unit to be thrown out in the first place?

These have been fitted and full illumination is restored. I have to say JVC achieved rather an attractive appearence, though this era of silver hi-fi has always been a personal favourite, at least from a cosmetic standpoint.

Cheers,

Ed

there's a marantz 2226 rcvr sitting on the shelf here......... hmmm.... i wonder if it works..... nobody seems to know........ another of the nice silver receivers with (and THIS was a big sales booster at the time) a blackout dial with blue backlighting...... powers up......i'll be back later.............

Well the JVC receiver is still going strong. It had an intermittent fault (failed to power up occasionally) that I thought had been traced and cured. I got a user manual and performed a tune up of the RF front end to re align the tuning. Much better reception was obtained.

After a while, another small fault developed on FM - popping sounds accompanied by shifts in the signal strength and variable reception. This turned out to have 2 causes... Firstly the FM "ground" connection to the pcb had broken. Fixed that, but the popping returned. Probing the FM section did not reveal the fault, sometimes it would be worse after switching the input/waveband selector. It turned out to be a bad joint on the main amp board, where the power for the radio section is regulated.

Cheers,

Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.