DoZ power supply schematic wrong or unclear? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2003, 06:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DoZ power supply schematic wrong or unclear?

Hi!

I am building the DoZ from ESP, and maybe have some difficulties in correctly understanding the suggested supply schematic. Here is the schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

If I connect my 30 - 0 - 30 toroid in the suggested way, I get about 60 V after the rectifier, and a short via the centre tap if produced, or am I misinterpreting anything?

So, normally I just would use one half of the toroid, with the centre tap connected to second AD rectifier pin, and the second half of the toroid not connected at all, is this right?

Of course, I could also use a 15 - 0 - 15 toroid, but right now I only have the 30 0 30 one...

I simply want to verify this before contacting R. Elliot himself...

Thanks for help,

Arndt
Old 2nd February 2003, 08:49 PM   #2
naula is offline naula  Finland
diyAudio Member

Supply schematic is correct. With 30 0 30 transformer you will get about 42 V DC. The other secondary windings feeds the positive half wave and the other feeds the negative half.

I have never seen solution like this but if you have transfomer with two secondary windings you can use it this way to get one DC voltage. Normally you would use transformer which has only one secondary windings.
Old 2nd February 2003, 09:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

But, like I said, it can't be correct. If I wire everything that way The fuse blows up instatly, and without fuse ... well, let's say that keeping it powered for more than 1 - 3 seconds would surely result into transformer meltdown...

If I just connect the two windings to the rectifier (without the caps, and no central tap connected) and measure DC voltage across the output of the rectifier I get about 57 V, or 60 V with caps connected. As soon as I connect the central tap to the "-" pin of the second cap a short is being produced, resulting in fuse blowing up (or the trasformer producing awful "crackling" noises )

And the trafo and rectifier are OK, they work flawlessly with my GainClone...
Old 2nd February 2003, 09:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As it is, the schematic is wrong. A short-circuit exist between the center tap and the minus of the bridge, which will explode when the power will be switched on.

In my opinion, the minus of the bridge must be not connected. Only two diodes of the bridge are used, and the supply will produce approx 44 Vdc without load, and 36 Vdc at full load.

Regards, Pierre Lacombe.
Old 3rd February 2003, 01:27 AM   #5
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you don't connect the negative to ground it'll work, or if you disconnect your center tap from ground. Good thing you had a fuse because otherwise you'd of probably blown some diodes in your bridge (I've done it before).
Old 3rd February 2003, 01:31 AM   #6
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yup, it appears even Rod makes mistakes sometimes (actually, he's pretty good about pointing out his own mistakes). Try this instead:
Attached Images
File Type: gif wrongdoz.gif (4.3 KB, 339 views)
Old 3rd February 2003, 09:24 AM   #7
rode is offline rode  Australia
diyAudio Member

Angry Very big oops!

Arrrggghhhhh!

My apologies to all - the supply shown on the secure site is indeed wrong. The diagram will be updated tonight.

For some obscure reason, the original supply has been available for ages, but no-one pointed out the error (and I certainly didn't see it).

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience, and the new one should be available in a couple of hours.

Cheers, Rod
Old 3rd February 2003, 12:19 PM   #8
naula is offline naula  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rode
[BMy apologies to all [/B]
Mine too! I simulated the schematic without connecting the miinus pin of the bridge.

Hide this!Advertise here!