Need a opamp suggestion to replace a NJM4558D - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2007, 10:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need a opamp suggestion to replace a NJM4558D

Hello

Any much better opamps suggestions for a drop-in replacement of a NJM4558D ?

That opamp output are following a PCM1710 dac, in a Denon DCM-260 CD player.

I include the schematic I have just get of that output.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thank

Gaetan
Old 4th August 2007, 11:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello

The line between the output line goes to another part of the circuit. It's not shorting the output.

Gaetan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 011d.jpg (23.6 KB, 607 views)
Old 4th August 2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
NJM4558 is a dual opamp, nothing special, can be replaced with almost any other dual opamp...
You could also replace the caps C429/C430 with some better bipolar or film-caps.

Arne K
Old 5th August 2007, 12:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If the 4558 is a dip package I would use a AD827 and bias the output into class a with about 7ma with a fet and resistor or current source and resistor. I would remove all the other parts in the output stage except for the feedback resistors and output cap.....use nude damped blackgate for coupling cap (33uf 16V N) and vishay/dale one eighth watt RN55 resistors. You do not need any output filtering whatsoever with these simple TI DAC chips.....you will get very transparent sound this way. Also use separate regulated 5 v supply for left and right analog power supplies on the DAC chip....makes a difference sonically. I used to modify MSB DACs and they used the very similar PCM 1716.
Old 5th August 2007, 01:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello

I have some Texas NE5532 but it's old tech ic's. Maby the OPA2134 but it's a fet op amp and I'm not sure it would be a drop-in replacement for the NJM4558 ?

Gaetan
Old 5th August 2007, 04:28 AM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If all you want is drop in replacements then ne5532 should be fine. It might be "old tech" but it's also a very good op amp.

Adding in much newer opamps like the AD827 into an existing design is, IMO, asking for trouble. These new opamps are very fast, and are likely to just oscillate without due care and attention.

If you can live without the mute function, pull the two Mute transistors TR400/401. This is known to improve sound quality in many cases.
Old 5th August 2007, 04:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaycee
If all you want is drop in replacements then ne5532 should be fine. It might be "old tech" but it's also a very good op amp.

Adding in much newer opamps like the AD827 into an existing design is, IMO, asking for trouble. These new opamps are very fast, and are likely to just oscillate without due care and attention.

If you can live without the mute function, pull the two Mute transistors TR400/401. This is known to improve sound quality in many cases.
Hello

About that mute fonction, is it an auto muting ? It seem that most cd player have that mute fonction, I don't see any mute buton on most cd player remote control.

Thank

Gaetan
Old 5th August 2007, 04:52 AM   #8
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yeah.. could be. You can try removing them, and if you notice strange and nasty noises when idle, you can always put them back
Old 5th August 2007, 04:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello

Ok, it cut noise between cd track reading.

Gaetan
Old 5th August 2007, 05:00 AM   #10
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

gaetan
OPA2134 may not be quite as good as the LM4562 etc. but should plug straight in withpot any stability problems. If the inputs to the IC are well balanced you may be able to get rid of the O/P capacitors, as the OPA2134 has a very low DC out.
The muting is auto. Any gain made by pulling them out will be very small,and may not be obvious in your system. However, if one goes leaky, a fault I have had twice over the years, channel balance may be affected.
SandyK

Hide this!Advertise here!