Nikko pre-amplifier Beta II schematics for driving my F4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I was in luck, the other day, finding such a baby at the local junk-jard.
I brought it back home, and plug it into the wall-outlet, and woow... everything seem's to work :cool:

At first, i was trying it, with my LeachAmp, and i noticed that the gain from this Nikko, was a lot better than i expected. I then tried to hook it up with a 2,5v 1khz sine (from a dvd-player, only sine-gen i have sry..), well if i give it 2,5v in, it pulls around 25v Out, so this gives me around 20dB of gain i think. I don't know, if this is all enough of, what my F4 will swallow, but it's a good start. I then tried to hook it up, with my 'nearly' finished first F4 monoblock, and it seem's it driving it fairly up to the 25w, but still missing the last bit of power i think, but i can't tell for sure.

I think this little pre, will need a good service, so i would be very interessted if someone have a service manuel or like for it. Or any suggestion's for improvement.
The only data, printed on it is NIKKO PRE-AMPLIFIER BETA II. Around 20years old i guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jesper.

Attachments

• nikko.jpg
    nikko.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 686
Wow, my first long answer went down the drain, when the darn "Gates" browser went down! Hmmmmmm...-
Jesper, I was trying to say this: Ask the question in the Solid State, department or make a link from there to this thread!! I am sure you will get a lot more response, that way!!

Steen:)

Edit: Mods, could you please change the spelling of this thread's subject from NIKKE to NIKKO?

Enough negative feedback will give you any arbitrary distortion measurement you might desire, but that's not to say it sounds good. I sold Nikko back when I was in retail at [a defunct chain which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty].
Dry. Sterile. Typical specs-are-everything late '70s "hi-fi" sound.
I, for one, don't miss the stuff.
Gut it and build something decent in the chassis.
Better yet, drive a wooden stake through the chassis to make sure it's dead.

Grey

P.S.: The amplifiers were a dead giveaway...100W out of something not much bigger than a hardback book. What does this tell you? Virtually no bias. Power transformer the size of a mouse. Caps? What caps? We don't need no stinkin' caps.
For those who don't think that this indicates anything, note that this was loooong before class D amplifiers arrived on the scene.

:devilr: :devilr: Better yet, drive a wooden stake through the chassis to make sure it's dead.
:devilr: :devilr:

You cruel... ;) - Well your'e proberly right, but it gives me some music, until i finish up a new pre.

I will for sure place some garlic around it... just to be sure :D

Jesper.

Attachments

• vampyre.jpg
    vampyre.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 428
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.