SKA, ASKA and LifeForce VS a commercially available amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2007, 06:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question SKA, ASKA and LifeForce VS a commercially available amplifier?

Hello,

I'm "refreshing" my stereo system and am trying to decide on amplifiers. I was initially lured into the diy amp idea from some mention of the AKSA and LifeForce amps. I looked into those and while they received great reviews, they are quite pricy. I then found the SKA GB150 and 300 amps. These seem to be of similar quality but are more reasonably priced.

From those who have built either kitset, how does the sound compare to commercially available amplifiers? Any specific examples would be great. I'm up for the DIY project, but I would want to be doing it to acheive a level of sound qulaity not available in a comparably priced prebuilt uint.

Speakers will be ellis 1801b's running at 60hz on up (seperate sub's and amp). Preamp processor will be SS.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:56 PM   #2
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tinkerguy,

The AKSA, SKA and Lifeforce amps are all very good, and probably rank subjectively with commercial gear costing several thousand dollars.

The SKA is inexpensive and good sounding, my company products are not in the same price bracket.

There are reasons for pricing, of course, but it's always your call.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Sonic quality is one of the reasons dear Hugh

You are humble to say....but your Aksa is some steps up related the competition.

It is an enormous honor to this other amplifier, that almost have cloned your brand name, to be together your Lifeforce.

I think this will be one of the very rare moments it will be head to head with your amplifier.

He had his moments of fame... when was in your forum producing some propaganda for his product.... unfortunatelly, for him, now the spot ligths are off.

regards,

Carlos
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:05 AM   #4
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi tinkerguy,
There is always that elusive "best" amplifier. Relax and try to listen to some. There is always some reason for the price of a product. This is not to say that expensive commercial products are the best, but for sure you won't be happy with a cheap product.

Given the cost to DIY an amplifier, you are in a position to build a few different ones for fun and education. I would recommend that you do exactly that. Hugh's amplifier's do seem to be a "blue chip" choice. I haven't heard one but some people I respect have. They report a positive experience.

Now for fun. There are amps like the SymAsym (pretty good 50 watts), and Quasi's projects, the GEM and countless others. You can even check out a tube amp. Start with a 6BQ5 version first.

-Chris
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:13 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

tinkerguy

You may want to mention what your pre is, as it can make a huge difference to your choice. There are some cases where the pre does not justify a better power amp.

In another thread I have a list of DIY amps I've built and most will leave the majority of commercial amps (below insane prices) behind.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...58#post1267658

I would not build amps (I don't really enjoy the process) if there was no sonic or financial benefit. If there were commercial offerings as good at similar prices, I'd be in like a flash. One other point... you get what you pay for and even though the AKSA / Lifeforce may be more expensive, they are better value IMO. Don't think too much in $$$ but think in sound and long term enjoyment.
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Well Rabbitz, you already concluded that speakers makes more difference than.....

... amplifiers into sonics.

You know, not kidding, you are one step up related the "real thing knowledge"....we.... poor devils, we continue to search something from outer space..... you are advanced.

The problem is that sound do not propagate in the space...no air!... and because of that they may use ligth in the place of sound vibrations.

So.... finding it...will not produce sound!

You may laugh....not really laugh...but smile with some pitty related us.... we go searching for 1 percent..when speakers can increase or decrease sonics into 70 percent.

Sorry Rabbitz.... you are more evoluted in my point of view...you already know the reality.

But, as every humans..you are fooling yourself with pré- amplifiers...ahahahahah..... we are all sick about those things.

Image is laughing with you.. not laughing on you, but together.

no one is nude... we do not use shirts inside home..too much hot...we are in the winter peak, and temperature is 25 degrées.

cheers,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not nude..here is hot!.jpg (92.0 KB, 1801 views)
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Carlos

We wouldn't mind a bit of 25° here at the moment as winter is not my favourite time of year. Anything below 20° is bleh!

You are right that the speakers can have the largest influence on sound and is the easiest place to gain better sound. Saying that, the complete system has to work as one and all parts have to live in harmony and match or it's chaos.

I've done some pre testing recently with the Lifeforce and the difference was quite large. The best was a passive pre with a buffer between the source and pre.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2007, 02:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default But my spies where in Australia visiting forum customers

I have perceived that some boards have parts into the gray location.

This seems to me Hugh is still playing with his tricks.

Not really tricks.... "Technological Resouces Iniciated Carrying kilos of Sonics"...T.R.I.C.K.S

The 55 is wonderfull.... i love this amplifier.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new top secrets location.jpg (85.6 KB, 2054 views)
Old 3rd August 2007, 04:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedbaks guys. I haven't decided on the pre amp yet, but am leaning towards the integra 9.8 DTC. 2nd is an outlaw audio 990. This system will be running 5.1 for home theater maybe 40% of the time. The rest will be stereo.. CD player for now, but would like to try out dvd a and sacd.

Rabbitz, I'm with you in that I don't really want to build these just for the fun of it. I'm sure it will be enjoyable, I have many other projects that also need my attention. I'm hoping to get some good feedback on these (or other) designs that will help me determine which one to go with. At that point, I'll make a 5 channel unit.

To give you an idea of what I'm starting with- Denon 3300 with DIY Focal polykevlar + titanium tweets.. It's so bright and abrasive that it's trying to peel the paint off the walls!
Old 3rd August 2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If you are going to replace the whole shebang, I'd stronly suggest you take a look at the pass forum and the pass diy page:

www.passdiy.com

And:

www.firstwatt.com

This will give you a good starting point and offers you a performance among the best, at a fraction of the cost of the afore mentioned kits.

Magura

Hide this!Advertise here!