ID of component

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all. I've tried to start a new thread but can't find it so bear with me if it appears somewhere else. I admit to being a compulsive bodger with little real knowledge and after reading about capacitors decided to change some. All well and good, I can do soldering, but in the process I've messed up a part I can't identify. There should be a photo attached (I'm OK at photography) and its the little thing ringed in red marked '100 HX'. I'd be really grateful if anyone can tell me what it is and where I can get some in the UK. Like I said I'm very much a bodger! By the way the amp's a Shearne Pahse 2 Reference.

Any help much appreciated...

Ron

Attachments

• id part.jpg
    id part.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 245
The marking is ambiguous; it's either a 10pF or 100pF polystyrene cap. They are devilishly sensitive to heat and very easy to destroy while soldering. Work fast!

They're cheap, so unless someone knows definitively if it's 10 or 100, get both, and try the 100 first. It's a very standard part, so any large electronics distributor should carry something like this. If you have any doubts about your soldering skills, replace it with a silver mica, which will stand up better to the depredations of a tyro.

I have very similar ones, and for 220p they're marked 220, so I guess that's a 100pF capacitor. Look a bit higher in the picture, there's 330pF.

Maybe a cheap cap tester can distinguish between them, even with little precision you could be able to tell between the two.

PS no need for replacement, they usually are good and stable, just a bit prone to thermal meltdown when heated with soldering gun.

Thanks to everyone who responded - at last I know what to get. I'll do as suggested and replace the one I melted down. It's located close to the coupling cap between preamp and power amp so I wonder what else has been messed up by this...ah well i guess I'll find out soon enough!

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.