sony amp problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, I have a 10-year old sony amp that I've been having some problems with lately. the problem is that my left channel really distorts the low bass notes, even at low volumes. the right channel is fine, and I've tested 2 different sets of speakers so I'm sure it's the amp. I have moderate soldering ability, is there any way I'd be able to troubleshoot and fix this myself? Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Thanks for the help.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Supes

We don't know the type of amp you have, so we can't tell you very much. If the amp doesn't have seperate PSU's for each channel, the PSU will probely be ok. Look for bad caps in the bad channel, measure the idle current and first of all, look for bad solder joints. :cool:

Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Supes

I think that, without any experience on repairing amps like this, the chance that you succeed is rather small…but lets try!!

First thing to do is read http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10123 . I don't know your particular amp very well, but if the heat sink temp is ok (should be slightly warm after 10') idle current will be ok too.

Take off the ground panel and DISCHARGE THE BIG CAPACITORS FIRST (the 8200µF) with a 50ohm resistor 5watts. Measure the voltage over the PSU caps BEFORE you attempt to solder anything! Shouldn’t be more than 1 or 2 volts. Redo every joint that looks suspicious carefully. Fire up the amp and listen…

I’ll be back tomorrow…unless i hear a big bang...with flares ;) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.