arcam alpha 7 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
stand,

We need a bit more info is what Andrew meant.
What fuse is blowing, the mains- or, if any, the output fuse? How does the fuse look? Blackened, or is the wire just melted?
Some history would be nice too. Did you party with the amp? Was it lying there for years unused...
What have you already done and do you have some basic measuring instruments available?

/Hugo :)

At a guess, the output mosfets have blown on one channel. This seems to be a common thing to happen to these amps, especially if pushed too hard or abused. However that's not a definite solution as this amp has only the mains fuse protecting it, so a fault anywhere in the amp could cause the fuse to blow.

If you have some experience with electronics, then we can suggest a few things. If however, you don't, then I advise you send it back to Arcam for repair.

sorry about that....i just had this amp for about a week and using it for about 10 minutes when it happens ...i used to build my own gear just amp and pre amp (tubes) with diagram,i also do some minor troubleshooting.,,,in my country (philippines).you can easily get spare parts i dont know here in england.

You can get them from Maplin but it depends what branch of Maplin you go to - they will also want too much money, IMO.

The last time I repaired an Alpha 7 I bought my IRF540's on eBay. You can also get them from Rapid.

AndrewT, yes the Alpha's are all pretty much the same... rather flimsy heatsinking too if you ask me. I've got the service manual if you'd like it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.