cambridge a5 channel died help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, the right channel on my Cambridge audio a5 amplifier has just died. i previously only had one speaker connected for a short period of time and after a while it started to smell funny :xeye: now one of the channels doesnt work. i cant see if its the transistor that have gone as they dont look burnt but there was definably a burning smell coming from the amp. any ideas guys?!? cheers, george

A good amp should be stable with no load!

However, I'm inclined to agree with zanash. If you know what you're doing, test the output transistors and you will probably find some dead ones. You may even find fuses supplying the right channel that have blown - DONT just replace them, test the transistors!

If you don't have experience doing this - then get it repaired professionally. I believe the official service for these amps is done through Richer Sounds.

good advice !

richer sound would be my first port of call ....even though I can do it myself unless cost is stupid. you can get a new A5 £99 so unless repair costs are going to be less than £30 thats the route I'd follow.

I will never risk amps ...with no load ...had couple fry themselves!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.