Balanced amplifier alternatives - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced amplifier alternatives

Hi

I would like to make a balanced driver that more or less emulates the behaviour of a transformer.
The "classical solution" shown in the picture has a problem in this respect: the output is implicitly referenced to the average of the two inputs, which means common mode from the inputs is transferred to the outputs.
I have found alternative circuits that fit the bill, for instance a difference amplifier followed by a unity gain inverting amplifier, but then the circuit is no more symetrical. I would like something more elegant, fully symetrical, as in the example.
Note that I don't need to emulate the floating output part of the transformer; I just need a reference terminal that sets the average output voltage independently of the inputs.
I'm pretty sure such a circuit has already been designed, but I can't find one.
LV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bal_amp.jpg (13.6 KB, 399 views)
Old 30th July 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If your levels and drive impedances will allow it, the classic simple solution is a one amp differential amp.

In its simplest form, it uses an opamp and four equal value resistors. The output WRT earth is equal to the difference between the two inputs.

Obviously, you can put the "instrumentation amp" circuit shown in your schematic above in front of a diff amp, and get an earth referenced output, and still have high input impedances.
Old 30th July 2007, 09:31 PM   #3
suzyj is offline suzyj  Australia-Aboriginal
diyAudio Member

That's easy.

You just need a pair of diffamps, connected in mirror. Plenty of common mode rejection:
Attached Images
File Type: png diffamp.png (29.2 KB, 370 views)
Old 31st July 2007, 08:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by suzyj
That's easy.

You just need a pair of diffamps, connected in mirror. Plenty of common mode rejection:
OK, it's symetrical and it does the job....

but I have a sort of a gut feeling that it should be possible with only two opamps (and this sort of feeling is rarely wrong).
You might remember that I tend to produce minimalist designs...
Thanks anyway
LV
Old 31st July 2007, 09:22 AM   #5
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

Check this:

http://www.jensentransformers.com/an/ingenaes.pdf
Old 31st July 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
DRC is offline DRC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

if you don't need gain, then things wouldn't come much simpler than a current sourced, degenerated, long tailed pair. This would have reasonable CMRR and you would be able to set the common mode output offset by trimming the current source.
Old 31st July 2007, 02:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Hi, Elvee,

Refering to post#1, f the -input is grounded (unbalanced input), then you can use R3=R1+R2.
Old 1st August 2007, 09:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Things are getting interesting:

I followed my instinct and tried to eliminate the buffers from Suzy's circuit.
I did that by adding two resistors, R9 and R10. They are negated by their connection to the opposite output and cancel the input resistance presented by the difference amplifiers. It works fine: the voltage across the input current sensing resistor R11 is now 0, meaning the input impedance is infinite.
BUT, this is the differential impedance: quite surprisingly, the common mode impedance is 3K for each of the inputs.
This is the analogue of a perfect center-tapped transformer whose tap is grounded via a 1K5 resistor. Quite interesting and potentially very useful, but now I would like to find a rational design method to determine the resistors, taking into account the gain, differential impedance and common mode impedance (by manipulating the values, it is certainly possible to also cancel or assign any arbitrary value to the common mode impedance).
Of course, there is always the brute force solution of writing and solving all the equations of the circuit, but there has to be a smarter and more intuitive method.
Any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diff2.jpg (51.9 KB, 176 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!