Marantz 1060 Blown Left Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, audio DIYers. My first post here, I think I'm about to venture into parts unknown (to me). Anyway, I've had this Marantz 1060 for years and I just love it. I have 5 other receivers/amps but the 1060 is the one I listen to. Unfortunately, on the last occasion, the main fuse blew and when I replaced it, the left channel was gone.

I have read most of Giaime's adventures with his 1060. I tested the power transistors and sure enough, the 2 on the left side were shorted on pins 1 and 3. I've decided that I will replace all 4 original 2SC897 with MJ15003 since they are easily obtained from Allied Electronics here in the US.

I'm quite handy with a soldering iron and know my way around a circuit board, but my experience is mostly with digital components. So, please excuse me if my questions appear to be quite dumb.

Should I replace anything other than the power transistors? Unlike Giaime's, nothing is smoking on my board. What could have caused the blown transistors? I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when the fuse blew. Also, am I correct in assuming that the transistors with shorted pins 1-3 are the bad ones? (It could be the other way, for all I know.) It doesn't really matter since I'm replacing all 4, but would like to know anyway. Would there be a difference in the audio quality with the substitute power transistors?

Lastly, could someone please email me the 1060 schematic? The dummyload.com site with the schematics is down.

All help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this baby up and singing again soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.