N-channel Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2001, 12:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

There have been questions time and again in these pages regarding Anthony Holton's N-channel amplifier. I have just completed the second PCB of this amplifier and have found the sound to be really good.

Since there have been repeated requests for the PCB design, in a couple of days I will post the PCB design and a picture of a populated board. Only I need to know if I can send these as attachments to the Web Administrator (Jason).

I have a question in this regard. I plan to use about 70,000uf of capacitance per rail for a stereo pair. My transformers (1.1 KVa) produce about 85volts per rail off-load. I would like to insert inductors to form a pi-filter. What are suggestions to make inductors using EI core, either CRGO or CRNGO laminations. These would be cheap to make where I live.

What should the core rating be (to handle >10 Amps), the guage of wire and the number of turns? Any suggestions, including using torroidal cores would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 6th November 2001, 12:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sam,
Would it be possible for you to e-mail me the n-channel pcb?

boppe069@uwsp.edu

Thanks,

Brian
Old 6th November 2001, 04:09 AM   #3
Chad is offline Chad  United States
diyAudio Member

I would love to see your pcb layout. I just finished a N-channel, the sound is great.(I know I'm biased because I built it.) I used Anthony's pcb it is a very nice board only a few changes are needed to make the update possible.
Old 6th November 2001, 07:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Any suggestions on the >10 Amp inductor coils I enquired about in the original post on this thread?

And Jason, is it possible for me to email the PCB design, as an attachment, to your ID?

Thanks,
Old 6th November 2001, 08:56 AM   #5
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

plz mail the layout to me aswell

hifi@hotbrev.com

i hope the designer holton dosnt mind?

7mmicke
Old 12th November 2001, 09:08 AM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

With a +/- 85V rail the chokes need to be rated at 20A for a dual mono supply or (40A) for a mono supply feeding a stereo amp.These are peak amperage values.Tell the coil designers that you need a 'swinging choke' rated at 5A(10A) continuous and 20A(40A) peak.Pick the largest core size you can stand.Find out how much wattage this will dissipate and at what temperature rise.Pick a sensible temperature rise, say 30*C.Take the wattage figure and divide by the square of the continuous current.This will give you the maximum DCR of the wire.Select wire length based on DCR requirements.Balance gauge size/length vs maximum inductor volume.Whatever the inductance is, is whatever the inductance is (not critical).
Old 12th November 2001, 12:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Question gain adjustment

Could a pot be added to the superamp for gain adjustment?

Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!