coil current rating for this amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since the current through the speaker must also pass through the inductor, using Ohm's law, 100 watts into 4 ohms is 5 amps. Therefore the inductor should be able to handle 5 amps of current. In reality, you may be able to use a lower rated inductor because you won't be running it at 100 watts all the time. I'd guess a 3 amp rated inductor would be sufficient for most uses. A 3 amp inductor will allow 36 watts continuous at the speaker. It would depend upon your actual use though. Hope this helps.

sherlock

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi sherlock,
Figure on the peak current and allowable temperature rise in the coil. All coil charts are based on temperature rise.

Now, in this design the resistance may be important. The coil is part of a bridge circuit and represents part of the basis on how it works. Therefore, no iron allowed here. I imagine there will be a fair amount of swinging current here and you don't want resistive losses.

Of course, one is allowed to experiment. I haven't read the article Leolabs. Don't they give you ant more information on the coil? If not, look at some Quad schematics and parts lists.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.