Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2007, 01:31 AM   #1
puginfo is offline puginfo  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default 2 stroke heatsinks

i was just thinking of using the heatsinks of the 2 stroke bike engines for as class A project. this is only an attempt to be different than the norm. anyone know if these are of any good? not sure what is the termal resistance thou, could be poor as the Al+ block seems thick but can be easily machined down.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

the top of the cylinder heatsink would look cool as a heatsink. it is designed to do the same job (get rid of heat) so as long as its big enough you should be fine.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:54 AM   #3
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The ones found on bikes are too small, but if you find an old airplane star engine to scavenge, you may have gotten yourself something quite cool....and it will have a fair chance to actually work .

Magura
Old 24th July 2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Bigred is offline Bigred  Canada
diyAudio Member

hrmmm.... some of the air-cooled 2 stroke bikes I have seen and owned in the past appeared to have some pretty hefty fins. Looks like they would dissipate considerable amounts of heat to me.
Old 24th July 2007, 03:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i have access to the machine shop to dimension this thing. but the material seems to be of harder AL alloy than the usual softer AL heatsinks. this is because the inner bore also houses the piston to work against the surface.

i still suspect the thermal resistance could be high.
Old 24th July 2007, 03:32 AM   #6
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Brilliant Idea!

flathead ford v8 heads...
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...eed-edlbrk.htm

Multiple heads on a copper bus bar would work

Even better use the whole head and cylinder.
bolt it to a plate and seal it, fill with transformer oil or water thru the spark plug hole. mount you devices to the bottom plate.

Class A stereo Harley Davidson would be very cool.
Old 24th July 2007, 03:46 AM   #7
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

nothing wrong with overhead valves though:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/68430_part.jpg

This valve cover has vestigial fins and a lot of surface area AND a place to put the components!

A cast aluminum finned oil pan might be better..

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/O...an___4cyl.html
Old 24th July 2007, 04:02 AM   #8
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just thought of something, don't completely fill the cylinder with fluid, leave some air space for expansion and screwing the spark plug in. or it WILL leak no matter how well you try to seal it.

There are some nice finned diff covers for Dana 44 and Dana 60 depending what size you want. nice big round bowl shapes.

valve covers may not have enough surface area for more than about 5 watt class A amp. very thin too, high thermal resistance unless you mount a thick plate on the bottom and oil fill them too.
Old 24th July 2007, 02:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

have been on a set of junked ajs units below. they are about 8ins finned towers. can mill the bores down for 2 flat sides to mount devices and then fit a computer grade fan atop with bottom open for air inlet. tough getting the toroidal in as well thou.Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ajs.jpg (47.4 KB, 208 views)
Old 24th July 2007, 05:11 PM   #10
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigred
hrmmm.... some of the air-cooled 2 stroke bikes I have seen and owned in the past appeared to have some pretty hefty fins. Looks like they would dissipate considerable amounts of heat to me.
The thing is, you never run the engines flat out without moving - the heads are designed to have air streaming around them, either from the bike moving itself or from an impeller. This makes a heatsink of any king MUCH more efficient. Also, air cooled engines run at considerably higher temperatures than your semicondustors can stand... so take that into account as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!