(Homebrew) Fuzz/Distortion, I need EQ, minus OpAmps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening. I'm working on a bunch of projects. The real trick is to avoid using OpAmps(operational amplifier chips) ICs(Integrated Circuit Chips) and certainly no SMT (Surface Mount Technology).

Call me a fool:
Sure this may sound bizzare or weird, but I like to use and work with standard component values and nothing compromised. Ya never know when all those chips and tiny little components will be discontinued or become rare(just in case). Plus the larger sized components seem to be more full sounding, as so many purists have said. I mean who wants to use noisier or thinner sounding parts? Call me off-the-wall but I've been happy with what I've been doing for a long time and I'd hate to change now.

Class-A?:
I've been told, or maybe mislead by manufactures that this type of circuit configuration is referred to as "Class A" (having all transistor and no chips) but then that same term is also used for equipment having to do with broadcast or tube-amplifiers using only one side of the output signal's carrier wave polarity. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard too many experts clash!

Projects:
I'm looking for a design of an EQ device/preamp that is line level and good to be used on guitar pedals, or in effects loops, or even with PA gear. Yet I can imagine that it might be a very big board if I'm following a schematic of an OpAmp and building one from the ground up, which might be considered ridiculous.

So if anyone would like to post a schematic diagram or a link to any sites that have them in mind. Plus I'd like to share this technology with the many musicians in mind, not to make any business out of it at all.

I've been assembling PCBs from kits and online sites that provide schematics and wiring diagrams. Alot of what I've been doing is fuzz pedals and other distortion effects. So far I've built a few famous and non famous pedals and done a few mods and component changes to my likings. I'm pleased with "GeneralGuitarGadgets", "GuitarTone" and a few more sites that were actually helpful.

Thanks in advance.

An amp being a "Class A" amp has absolutlely nothing to do with if it uses IC"s or discrete parts....Class A Means that the Transistors are allways in the "On" state and are allways within there Safe Operateing area......
Most Opamps can be Biased in Class A.....

A Opamp or IC isn"t really any different than a Discrete design accept that all of the Seperate Discrete Parts are all on the Same Die with an IC and take up a lot less space and in Most cases the amount of time and money that goes into a designing an good IC is more than will go into designing a basic discrete Power amp or pre-amp as most use the same type of topology......

It is usually Much easier to get a Good sound from an IC based design as opposed to a Discrete design cuz the IC is allready there and Built and will allmost allways work within it"s design perameters......

If you do a Google search for "Tone Controll Circuits" you will find a Lot of useable curcuits......

Cheers

the 3 basic classes of amplifiers are as follows:

Class A:
the amplifier device (transistor, tube, etc...) is within it's conduction range for all 360 degrees of the input wave form. this applies to preamp circuits, power amp circuits, and even RF linear amplifiers. used a lot in audio

Class B:
the amplifier device is within it's conduction range for less than 360 degrees, but more than 180 degrees of the input waveform. this applies to positive and negative halves of most audio power amps, and to fuzz boxes (the device is driven between saturation and cutoff). used a lot in audio

Class C:
the amplifier device is within it's conduction range for less than 180 degrees of the input waveform. this is usually only applied to RF power amplifiers, with a resonant circuit "reconstructing" the rest of the sine wave. sometimes also used for generating short pulses from a sine wave source. HARDLY ANY USE IN AUDIO

shown below are input and output waveforms for A, B, and C class amps.

Attachments

• ampclass.jpg
    ampclass.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.