DSelf Precision Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love this forum...

Enough of the sentiments, I have recently built Douglas Self's Precision Preamp II. Currently, I have not been able to get it to a working state, the fuses keep blowing, I have followed the wiring directions in the instructions regarding one of the regulators. There are a few things that I need to pursue but, how does it sound. I'm hoping it's better than my integrated (an elderly audiolab 8000A), I just wondered if anyone has actually made this preamp.

Your expertise would be reaaaaally helpful.

Brownlow

Can you tell me were I can find the diagram? Just guessing that if you have a fuse that blows, and if it uses a negative voltage regulator IC, I would check the wiring to the negative regulator. The negative regulators have reversed pins.

Just a possibility. Ignore if it does not use these.

But blowing fuses would seem to indicate improper power supply wiring. Improper circuit wiring would likely result is smoke unless there is a dead short.

John Fassotte

John

Thanks for the reply, it's funny how you say to yourself that every component is in its right place. You gave me an idea and I spotted two diodes reversed. Eye fatigue can be a real problem. Again, I appreciate the suggestion, the fuses have stopped blowing.

Brownlow

hmm... rectifier diodes in wrong... reminds me of the time i did exactly the same thing. Even after i checked them twice, i was convinced i had them in the right way around. Heh, it took another check of the schematic (and two more fuses!) to discover my blunder. Oh well.. happens to us all! let us know how it sounds..

Precision Preamp

Hi

Just to let you know, I have been using this preamp since early 1997, I built it when it was first published on the PCB, ordered from Douglas Self.

It is a brillant preamp, and has never gone wrong, and worked first time!

There are pics of the preamp on my site. http://blackwidowaudio.com/ and i may be able to help with the diagrams as well...

Hope this is of interest

:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.