Heathkit AA-1600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a Heathkit AA-1600 amp, AP-1800 preamp and the AJ-1600 tuner at a garage sale. All items are, were, in perfect working order then all of a sudden the apm quit working. I noticed on the front of the amp there are two led lights. One is right full power and the other is left full power. The left full power light is now not working. I am an idiot with this stuff. I have all the original manuals, but have no idea what to look for. Anybody out there have a clue? thanks

I imagine that some kind of protection, or relay have entered in operation

Maybe erratic operation or some defect have trigered the unit off...reason why i need the schematic...well...everybody will need the schematic to help you.

Photo will not work fine...exception is if you are a professional photographer....better to scan the schematic using high resolution...600 dots per inch.

Can be a contact problem...have you hitted (softly) the unit?

give it some punches (softly) if contact problems you will have it entering on and off.... or use a massage vibrator into the upper cover and under cover plate.

regards,

Carlos

schematic

Carlos. I email you some close up pics of the schematic. This schematic is poster size and I cannot scan it.

I tried hitting it a few times, but nothing. The unit worked all day today. It was playing at the garage sale and then I set it up at home and it played fine. Then it just quit. Nothing at all from either channel.

Hopefully someone on this forum will know what the problem is since it was a home build kit.

Thanks

Maybe contact problem.... even a fuse holder can produce those problems

Bad solder also creates that.

Really, my friend, you should send this unit to someone more experienced to produce a check up into this circuit, start to cleaning all contacts and re-soldering the unit.... and this as a starting method of research.

If you are not skilled.... a good idea is not to try, as this may cost you the unit destruction.

regards,

Carlos

You images were not good....your hands are shacking

the camera must go to a tripod and the shutter need to operate using the timer... not your hands....we shake our hands naturally because heat beats for instance.

Those images, schematics, need a crispy focus to be watched in details, including values.

But i could see you have a protection and a relay to overtemperature...there you may have a problem....you need to check if this high temperature is really happening.... touching metal surfaces (heatskinks) after the unit had operated for 15 minutes half power...maybe a faulty protection circuit that will need to be deactivated.... switched of... disconnected if faulty and if you are not skilled to fix it.

Try, once again, to produce images...but keep the camera using the timer to produce shots without you holding it.

Place the schematic in a place it will receive good ligth and let the camera do the job..... you can even reduce your resolution as this do not need big resolution....1 Megapixel will work fine.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• thermal protection.jpg
    thermal protection.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 343
thanks

Thanks for the input Carlos, but I repaired it myself. Each channel has a board and at the bottom of these boards are 2 3amp fuses. One of them was blown, so I replaced all four and presto! I quess I should thank God for a $4 dollar repair.

New question? I have a Van Alstine Super Pas Two preamp and I like to run my reel-to-reel and turntable through this because I like the tube sound. Can I run 2 preamps? What I mean is run the Super Pas(tape and turntable) to the Heathkit pream and then through the amp?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.