Harman Kardon 6550 amp fault finding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Solely on the basis that I know which end of the soldering iron to hold, I agreed to look at a mate's faulty HK6550 amp.

He had experienced it losing volume over a short period, fading to nothing in about a minute. On restart - nothing.

When it got to me, apart from surprisingly shoddy build, eyeballing it revealed nothing - no blown caps or burned boards, startup produced no tortured screams or puffs of smoke (more's the pity...)

SFAICT voltages were fine up to the output stage, but there was nothing at the loudspeaker terminals.

To make myself feel useful I cleaned all earth connections, sockets, switches and pots.

Now I have *some* voltage at output, it plays music and nothing shows obvious signs of strain or excessive temperatures, but if I go over about 20% on the volume pot there is no rise in volume but a HUGE rise in distortion...

It's going to be a PITA to strip down, so can anyone suggest where I should look first for this problem? :scratch:

thanks, eofs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.