SWM Seeking JFET /w low noise + high Vp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a FET that has a high enough pinch-off voltage and low enough noise to use in a discrete input stage preamp (with a bit of gain) that can handle a +4 dBu or roughly 1 volt peak with enough headroom to keep it linear if there are any transients. Any ideas? I usualy use 2sk170 as my de facto fet, but not for an input this hot.

I was thinking a 2n5462, or go through the bother of testing a bunch of 2sk170 to weed out a few with unusually high pinch off figures...

Hi

2sk170 is N-channel, and 2N5462 is a P-channel device. I have used 2N5460 and 2N5461(actually the SOT-23 version), but not for an input stage. These are fairly low conductance devices, less than 6 mmohs for the 5462. Does this stage have a follower? J177 has a much higher conductance and Vgs, it is also P-channel. Some circuit detail might help your cause here, or better, a scematic.:)

CBS240 said:
Hi

2sk170 is N-channel, and 2N5462 is a P-channel device. I have used 2N5460 and 2N5461(actually the SOT-23 version), but not for an input stage. These are fairly low conductance devices, less than 6 mmohs for the 5462. Does this stage have a follower? J177 has a much higher conductance and Vgs, it is also P-channel. Some circuit detail might help your cause here, or better, a scematic.:)

I am not to concerned about NPN or PNP as long as the parameters fit. I have not decided about a follower yet though since I am still brainstorming components. I think I may try a few BF245 to see how they work out... not super low noise, but with that big a signal it is not super important.

Thanx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.