Sony STR-DE635 receiver no sound, what's blown?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LOL.... sorry to laugh but believe me, manufacturers nowadays skimp out on everything possible and they wouldn't have parts just for the heck of it. YES those were required. A thin film of heatsink grease prolly wouldn't hurt either. Also if there were insulating washers present with the mounting screws. NO SPARE PARTS :att'n:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jamil5454,
Oops, those were required? **** let me find them.
You're either having fun with us, or ..... oops! ;)

Don't worry. I see technicians forget to install them all the time, or my favorite, the use two (results in overheated outputs).

You must clean the transistors, heatsink and the mica insulators. You must also use fresh grease. If an insulator is cracked or damaged in some way, it must be replaced. Those steps are not optional, sorry.

If this means you must put everything aside for right now, do it.

Can you just install everything for a quick test? Yes. Just clean all the old grease off everything and remount it dry. Don't run speakers for any length of time and keep the volume down.

-Chris

Alright, I got those insulators out of the trash and applied some Arctic Silver to them and the transistors and still have the same problem. Obviously I thought it would be similar to a CPU heatsink but apparently not.

I will clean the transistors and heatsink off thoroughly and try it dry. I replaced the 8A fuses with 5A instant-blow ones so I should be ok there.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm learning so much.

Well, I think my amp is long-gone now. With the transistors totally separated from the heatsink it still makes the clicking sound when I plug it in. I have to immediately remove the cord otherwise the fuses will blow.

I'll try the front and center transistors dry and see if that helps. I didn't mess with those apart from taking out the screw and putting it back in, but that might have an effect.

I'll post back later when I get some time to work on this.

Well I checked and rechecked all output transistors and none are shorted, either between the pins or between the pins and heatsink.

I noticed I don't get clicking (aka fuses blown) if I disconnect CNS1303, the ribbon connector from the digital board to the front panel/switch assembly, before I plug in the power cord. Of course, the unit doesn't work, but that may be a clue. Or maybe that connector is just the only path to ground the whole unit has.

EDIT:
Wait a second... are the two middle pins on D801 (looks like a rectifier on the DC Board) supposed to be shorted? They are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.