Russ Andrews voltage reg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some years I heard a Naim preamp which had been upgraded with a Russ Andrews voltage regulator. I heard before and after and there was quite an improvement in sound quality.

I am now looking at all the different regulators around and wondering if this RA design is still available somewhere. I could be wrong but I think the designer was Paul .......

Anyone remember?

Was there a HV version for tubes?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• bursonsuperreg_main.png
    bursonsuperreg_main.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 323
stoolpigeon said:
Some years I heard a Naim preamp which had been upgraded with a Russ Andrews voltage regulator. I heard before and after and there was quite an improvement in sound quality.

I am now looking at all the different regulators around and wondering if this RA design is still available somewhere. I could be wrong but I think the designer was Paul .......

Anyone remember?

Do you remember what time that was? Was it IC or discrete? What have you tried and like/didn't like?

What Paul... do you talk about?

I am trying to remember some details.

It was mid 1990's I heard this preamp and I know Russ Andrews had quite a range of parts and upgrades.

The reg was discrete and there were at least 2 versions. I think the more expensive was around 100 UK pounds.

The sound of the upgraded Naim, which isn't one of my favourites, was much less in your face and more 3 dimensional than standard.

At the time RA was introducing a range of amps and speakers and I think the amp designer did the voltage reg as well. Interesting speakers with a large woofer and very efficient.

I'm sure some of the UK members will know what I'm talking about!

stoolpigeon said:
........ I could be wrong but I think the designer was Paul .......

Anyone remember?

The designer was Paul Hynes. See the following website for his latest offerings:

http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/

Yes there was. If you are interested, email me and I will send you a scan of the appropriate page from the 1995/6 RA catalogue (not that it gives much in the way of details about the regulator itself).

Thanks Geoff, that seems to be him, but unfortunately no circuit details.

Can anyone tell the basics of the design from the photos? A variation of the Jung/Diddens type?

I know there are plenty of reg designs around but this one I remember as providing a fairly obvious improvement rather than just sounding different.

analog_sa said:
This is quite amusing. Apparently a market niche exists where tweakers are eager to support higher profit margins than those in high end audiophile equipment :)

Are tweakers more gullible than ordinary audiophiles?
is the high retail cost more to do with amortisation of development costs and low volume batch production than with excessive profit margin?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.