How much power to produce 10KW or more

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dave_gerecke said:
I read parts of the manual for the Crest Pro 10001. I would agree that peaks in the range claimed are possible, using the dedicated 120s 30a x2 supplies. If I read the manual correctly, they say that the peak current draw per power line going into the Pro 10001 is 35.6A, so if you are really planning on running this sucker at full power, you may want to upgrade to 2 120v 40a power feeds. Either way, I hope you're not using these at home.:bigeyes:

Have fun,

Dave

Of course it's for home audio, two of these plus 10 more QSC's.

-->> :smash:

Regarding the amp/psu wiring in post #15, if the individual output modules are not full-bridge type then the psu hookup is a pure disaster. ESR is not the point and not a problem except some considerable wire temp rise (and assuming the caps kelvin-connected) but ESL is!! No point in twisting wires that don't carry ANY symmetrical current and forming a big loop with some distant GND wire at the same time. Might cause sereve ringing on the rails.

If this isn't the final hookup style, I apologize.

- Klaus

Me and a friend have just built a 2kW@8ohm (when bridged) amplifier, the really sweet thing is the distortion of 0.0009% THD at 100w(8ohm) in 1kHz.
Hopefully it will be a Product that will compete in the high end segment. :)
My friend is btw Morello that also attend on this forum every now and then. :)

It is ofcourse possible to take an amplifer towards 10kW but it aint worth it I think, I think that 2kW can be used in some really dynamic recordings on powerful speakers but another 8kW for the extra 7dB? I wouldnt ever do that. :)

you can get more realistic results from the IHF dynamic headroom test. it's done with a 1khz sine wave signal with a gated burst. the gated burst is also 1khz, but at a higher amplitude(which is variable. the time format is 95ms at average, 5ms burst. the way you would use this is to use the average part of the waveform to run the amp at rated power, then the burst is adjusted until it barely begins to clip. the difference between the two values is the dynamic headroom. the peak value from the burst is sometimes misused as a PMPO wattage (among other things).

if anybody noticed, that crown beast is rated into a load of less than an ohm.

Let's try this from a different angle. Your friend can buy a 10,000watt amp for allegedly $400, but what does he gain? Knowledge? Experience? Is he a better more productive person because of it? Of course not.

In this world there are 'havers' and 'doers'. Havers buy; and doers make, they not only make amps, but they make the world. Any half-wit can buy, but it takes an intelligent, knowledgeable, curious, experienced, creative person to 'make', and you're a better man for it.

Remember the destination is actually the journey.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard said:
Let's try this from a different angle. Your friend can buy a 10,000watt amp for allegedly $400, but what does he gain? Knowledge? Experience? Is he a better more productive person because of it? Of course not.

In this world there are 'havers' and 'doers'. Havers buy; and doers make, they not only make amps, but they make the world. Any half-wit can buy, but it takes an intelligent, knowledgeable, curious, experienced, creative person to 'make', and you're a better man for it.

Remember the destination is actually the journey.

Steve/bluewizard

Lets try from a different angle........

Read all the posts in the thread

:smash: :dead: :rolleyes:

Thylantyr,

I have, three times, and I still stand by what I said.

'Havers' might finance the world, but 'doers' definitely create it.

And I'm not calling you a half-wit simply because you buy. I'm saying it doesn't take any skill or knowledge to lay down a VISA card, and little skill or knowledge is gained from it.

There is a thread in this forum, something to the effect of 'Why not to DIY'. Certainly, if you have the money, you can buy first rate speakers with little or no effort. But what do you gain in terms of skill, knowledge, and experience? Some people like to 'do'. Some people like to accumulate knowledge and experience regardless of cost. Some people think the journey is far more important than the destination.

The orignal poster doesn't care that he can get a monster amp for some undermined amount of money somewhere between $500 and $2000 used. He's still rather do it himself, and gain from the experience.

I say more power too him. (see, it's a pun)

Steve/bluewizard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.