hello! :) and a small question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi theblackknight,
Welcome to DiyAudio!

djk is right, any good tech could repair that with no docs. However, you aren't so let's go.

Do you have a circuit diagram?

Can you take a picture of the inside?

What is your exact complaint. No power rates as an exact complaint (as in no lights - nothing).

-Chris

on the bottom of one of them there is a tiny hole on top of a bump that was covered in gunk.

didnt know something so small could cause such big problems!

i also just found replacements at mouser electronics. i have not ordered them just yet, but they are EXPENSIVE! $20 each! :(
---

http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine...+0&GetRecs=1&Ns=P_SField&Msb=0&RefType=Header

and, they arent the right size! the old ones have a 5cm diameter, and are only 6cm tall, while the new ones are 4cm by 8cm. :(
what should i do?

once/if i replace them, can i go ahead and use it? or do i have to take it to a tech to have the bias current and DCoffset adjusted?

thanks!
Henry

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Henry,
Those appear to be 1,000 uF @ 100 VDC, Didn't you want 10,000 uF?

Often, you will find another value that is close enough, such as 12,000 or 15,000 uF at the same voltage. 8,000 uF would be okay too given the tolerances. Replace all those caps as they are near the end of their useful life. New ones are normally made better also.

-Chris

here is what it says.

"Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor
Capacitance:10000uF
Capacitance Tolerance:+/- 20 %
Working Voltage, DC:63V
Series:LBB
Body Diameter:35mm
ESR:0.025ohm
External Height:40mm
Lead Pitch:10mm
Leaded Process Compatible:Yes RoHS Compliant: Yes"

looks to me like they are correct. or am i misreading something?

i can only guess that the other ones will go bad too----so i will definately replace all of them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Henry,
Sorry, I was reading from the linked data sheet. :rolleyes:

A smaller cap (physical size) will be just fine. If you increase the voltage rating, the cap will have longer life and be closer to the correct size. More $$ of course!

Looks like you found what you need and the price isn't too bad either!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.