Ayre's EquiLock, what is it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2007, 03:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Default Ayre's EquiLock, what is it?

From Stereophile's Ayre MX-R review :

Quote:
EquiLock is kind of like creating a cascode by combining two triodes. You could say we're joining together two transistors to act like one transistor that has a really stable operating point. Adding a second transistor to the signal path seems like it deviates from my belief that simpler is better, except that it works better."
2 transistors to act like 1 transistor? I can only draw 2, one is darlington and one is CFP. What is EquiLock looks like? Mr Hansen?
Old 20th November 2008, 02:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this in the recent review of the KX-R preamp:

Quote:
Key to VGT was Ayre's development of what they call EquiLock circuitry for the MX-R monoblock. "In a conventional circuit, the gain transistor has a load, usually either a resistor or a current source," Hansen said. "When the current through the gain transistor changes, then the voltage across the load also changes, which, in turn, means that the voltage across the gain transistor is changing. In fact, all of the parameters (transconductance, capacitance, etc.) vary when the voltage across the transistor varies.

"The EquiLock circuit adds another transistor between the gain transistor and the load. (In our case, the load is actually a current mirror.) This extra transistor holds the voltage of the gain transistor at a fixed level while still transmitting the changes in current to the load (the current mirror). By stabilizing the voltage across the gain transistor, all of the parameters of the gain transistor are also stabilized. The circuit is very similar to a cascode circuit, which has been used by other manufacturers, but EquiLock is an improvement over a conventional cascode circuit."
Sounds like it's similar to the enhanced cascode as described by Hawksford here.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:29 PM   #3
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

i don't think you'll find or receive a detailed description/schematic for the equilock topology, but you'll find some useful tidbits from charles scattered around in john's blowtorch thread.

perhaps another useful tip is don't be alarmed by use of a fair number of transistors, due to:
- fully balanced operation throughout
- high performance (i.e. better than the simple two transistor mirror) current mirrors
- cascoding
in other words, the "minimalist" approach was not necessarily a design goal.

justcallmedad posted an interesting gain stage in the blowtorch thread (?) worth investigating if you're curious about balanced, open loop, jfet input gain block architectures.

mlloyd1
Old 20th November 2008, 05:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this in the recent review of the KX-R preamp:

Sounds like it's similar to the enhanced cascode as described by Hawksford here.

Cascoding with a JFET tied back to the emitter does a pretty fine job without the extra biasing.
Old 20th November 2008, 05:50 PM   #5
BV is offline BV  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Example for input diferential stage
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...50#post1656250
Old 22nd November 2008, 01:20 AM   #6
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Could it mean that the cascode ie referenced to the input fets rather than ground, which would improve linearity or the cascodes referenced to each other via a current source?

Jam
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jam
Could it mean that the cascode ie referenced to the input fets rather than ground, which would improve linearity or the cascodes referenced to each other via a current source?

Jam
I was thinking the same. Like Borbely, and that memory distortion guy does it.
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jam

Jam
This is the "enhanced cascode" described by Hawksford in the link I posted above.
Old 23rd November 2008, 05:55 PM   #9
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

With I/O included, there are only 36 different combinations possible with two transistors..so have at it.

Oh..wait a minute. Oops. Lots more. Oh well.
Old 23rd November 2008, 06:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Didn't Nelson's Stasis do the same? Basically bootstrappping the Vds / Vce?

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!