remote control going wild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I use my remote control on my Fisher amp sometimes it goes wild, volume increase will keep going up or down, cd track change will keep going up or down. Any ideas on what might cause this? I'm leaning towards a bad IC, but I'm new at this. It's an old Fisher Studio Standard CA885. I have the schematic and manual -- it's pretty complicated and a lot of things run together. Would it be worthwhile to start replacing chips? Thanks.

BrianDonegan said:
Try to get it to happen again. In the midst of it's misbehaving, cover the end of the remote with your hand. Does that stop it?

My first guess is sticky goo in the remote's buttons. Always suspect mechanical items first, electronic second.

Thanks for the reply
I disassembled the remote and cleaned all the buttons, this did no good. When I pull the remote away from the amp it still runs wild, so I guess that pretty much eliminates that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.