basic split rail PSU - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2003, 01:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default basic split rail PSU

I am building a stereo power amp using boards from Avondale Audio. I have got to the stage where all I need is a PSU, a simple split rail, unregulated (for now) 50-0-50 (approx) power supply.

I am pretty sure that I am on the right track as to how to do this, but I would like confirmation before I start any fires. I am going to use a single discrete rectifier with Schottky diodes, a 700Va 2x40v toroid and two 22,000uf 63v capacitors.

Is there a simple circuit or guide online which will explain how to wire this up? I have found lots of complicated circuits for regulated PSUs but nothing to fulfill my simple needs.

Kind regards,

Ed
Old 28th January 2003, 02:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Found some

I have just found an excellent resource at TNT Audio, I would still welcome and guidance from the members here though:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps1_e.html
Old 30th January 2003, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hey watch out for the Schottky diodes that can't take high voltage normally better get one with atleast 200v PIV(i think forgot the terminology here) or not stick with normal diodes and just bypass them with small caps diagram shown in the tnt audio
with 40-0 VAC u should get 40*1.41-1.4(assume silicon turn on voltage one diode is 0.7v and there are two diodes to account for, schottky i not sure) u would get above 50 volts
well good luck then, since this is your first ps supply go for bridge type, easy and good and don't forget that if your caps are big the diodes needed to be rated big also for current demand when turn on
Old 30th January 2003, 04:24 AM   #4
The one and only

Look at any of the schematics for power supplies
at www.passdiy.com or elsewhere. They're pretty
simple.

Those Schottkys will need a 100 V rating for +-50 V

Maybe you want to try something more conventional
first time out, like a $3 bridge from Digikey.
Old 30th January 2003, 08:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Have a look at the bottom of this page http://sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm - this should help.
I'm guessing you've bought the
Have you bought the modules complete, or just the boards? Be interested to hear how you get on sourcing the parts, if the latter - particularly if you're in the UK.
Old 30th January 2003, 10:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply basics

There's a very good article on how to design your own power amp supply here:

http://www.zero-distortion.com/techn...ly/powersi.htm

Also talks about diodes/bridges quality you can use, as well as caps. An obligatory reading, in my opinion, from both a subjective and objective point of view.

Carlos
Old 30th January 2003, 11:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The Schottky bridge is being bought as a pre built module, designed specifically for the amp modules. I am building the modules from bare boards, most of the parts have come from Farnell's, with Maplin contributing some resistors and other simple components.

Hide this!Advertise here!