basic split rail PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a stereo power amp using boards from Avondale Audio. I have got to the stage where all I need is a PSU, a simple split rail, unregulated (for now) 50-0-50 (approx) power supply.

I am pretty sure that I am on the right track as to how to do this, but I would like confirmation before I start any fires. I am going to use a single discrete rectifier with Schottky diodes, a 700Va 2x40v toroid and two 22,000uf 63v capacitors.

Is there a simple circuit or guide online which will explain how to wire this up? I have found lots of complicated circuits for regulated PSUs but nothing to fulfill my simple needs.

Kind regards,

Ed

hey watch out for the Schottky diodes that can't take high voltage normally better get one with atleast 200v PIV(i think forgot the terminology here) or not stick with normal diodes and just bypass them with small caps diagram shown in the tnt audio
with 40-0 VAC u should get 40*1.41-1.4(assume silicon turn on voltage one diode is 0.7v and there are two diodes to account for, schottky i not sure) u would get above 50 volts
well good luck then, since this is your first ps supply go for bridge type, easy and good and don't forget that if your caps are big the diodes needed to be rated big also for current demand when turn on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.