SAE 2400 amp needs help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First, greetings to all...
I have an SAE 2400 that needs some work done to it.

I`ve had it since '84 and it has sat in a closet about 10 years now due to
some speaker wires that got shorted out and took out one of the channels. I think the output transistors might need replaced.

Should I just sell it on ebay as is ? or is it worth fixing ? Gotta admit I really like the beefy looks and the big analog meters..kinda miss staring at them while listening too.

If I decide to fix it, I don`t want a shop that will hold my parts for ransom with some huge repair bill.
I don`t mind paying for good parts and good work but i don`t like getting hosed either.

I wouldn`t mind a DIY attempt either but I`ve never built anything electronic before.

Any suggestions/opinions would be welcome.
Thanks
Steve

The correct way to rebuild this amplifier or any amplifier of that age is to replace all semiconductors and capacitors. In addition the main filter caps should be replaced. There are also a number of resistors that should be replaced because of their age and composition. Your looking at a amplifier that was manufactured around 1975 so its high time for it to get a face lift.

burnedfingers...is what you suggest suitable for a novice ?

In my opinion...no.

I have seen too many basket cases from novices.

One example ....I repaired an amplifier that someone of very limited skill had worked on and managed to totally wreck a number of traces.

The traces aren't that thick and require the usage of proper desoldering equipment to minimize damage to the board.

There is a very good chance that the amplifier has been repaired one or more times in the past and this all takes a toll on things.

After all...you wouldn't take your car to a plumber would you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.