Single phase transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Single phase transformers

This really belongs in the "to stupid to ask-forum" but as there is no such thing I'll try here: can a single phase transformer be used as a power trafo, on a regular power net (which I suppose is 2-phase)?

I suspect the anwer is no....

Simon
Old 27th June 2007, 07:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Single phase transformers are used all the time..What eactly did you have in mind?
Old 28th June 2007, 03:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I always thought the electricity net was dual phase.....

Good to know that I can finally use those trafo's explicitly rated as 'monophase'

Simon
Old 28th June 2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The mains grid is 3-phase.

I think you better tell us exactly what you are trying to do before you possibly start a fire or injure others
Old 28th June 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you better tell us exactly what you are trying to do before you possibly start a fire or injure others

Don't worry, I've built several tube-amps without succeeding in killing my wife....

Seriously, I've got a transformer that is labeled 'single phase trafo' and was wondering if it's usable as power transformer for an amp, given my false presumption that 'normal' trafo's are dual phase (to suit the mains grid which I thought was also dual phase). The guy at the electronics store told me yesterday that mains grid IS single phase, so my transformer is just your-average transformer.

However, you say the mains grid is three phase

Practically; can I use my single phase trafo on the mains grid or can it only be used in specific industrial environments where mains grid is single phase?

Thanks --- Simon
Old 28th June 2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Because you were vague with your original post you received confusing-to-you answers. The mains power grid is 3-phase, the power that comes into your home is 1-phase. You need 1-phase transformer to connect to the mains.
Old 28th June 2007, 07:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's a very clear-to-me answer.

Simon
Old 28th June 2007, 09:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

In the US household service is often referred to as split phase. 3 wires into the house. 2 hot 120 Volt wires and a Neutral wire. A total of 240 Volts from one hot wire to the other. Commercial and Industrial users have three phase service. 3 hot wires (and maybe or maybe not a neutral) the phase between each hot wire is 120 degrees.
So maybe the transformer in question has a 2 wire primary rather than a 3 wire center tapped primary.
Old 29th June 2007, 10:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So maybe the transformer in question has a 2 wire primary rather than a 3 wire center tapped primary.
It has, but I don't know if that has something to do with the denomination. Trafo's without centre-tap, atleast HV ones built or usable for tube-amps, are as common as center-tapped trafo's.

Simon
Old 29th June 2007, 11:44 AM   #10
Symon is offline Symon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A three phase transformer will have 3 cores each with it's own primary and secondary windings.
http://www.3phasepower.org/3phasetransformers.htm

So a 3 phase transformer would look very different to a conventional single phase transformer. The fact it has 2 primary windings is usually an indication it can be setup for 120 or 240 Volt operation.

Hide this!Advertise here!