Single phase transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you better tell us exactly what you are trying to do before you possibly start a fire or injure others
:)

Don't worry, I've built several tube-amps without succeeding in killing my wife....

Seriously, I've got a transformer that is labeled 'single phase trafo' and was wondering if it's usable as power transformer for an amp, given my false presumption that 'normal' trafo's are dual phase (to suit the mains grid which I thought was also dual phase). The guy at the electronics store told me yesterday that mains grid IS single phase, so my transformer is just your-average transformer.

However, you say the mains grid is three phase :confused:

Practically; can I use my single phase trafo on the mains grid or can it only be used in specific industrial environments where mains grid is single phase?

Thanks --- Simon

In the US household service is often referred to as split phase. 3 wires into the house. 2 hot 120 Volt wires and a Neutral wire. A total of 240 Volts from one hot wire to the other. Commercial and Industrial users have three phase service. 3 hot wires (and maybe or maybe not a neutral) the phase between each hot wire is 120 degrees.
So maybe the transformer in question has a 2 wire primary rather than a 3 wire center tapped primary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.