low audio on left channel jvc vn-300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just realised to tick the 'have searched' box before I could post... :dead:

hi guys, hope someone can help me here...

Have an old jvc vn-300 solid state amp that really pumped out quite a nice sound, but now for some reason the left channel is putting out about 1/3 of the volume of the right channel. If I adjust the L/R balance to 2.3rds towards left and crank up the volume, both sound good, but no where near full volume ( only on R channel).

Now I have done some preliminary tests ( I have a scope - albeit an ancient phosphor dual channel ).

I have attached a link to the full size schematic ( amp came with the original instruction book which included the circuit).
Quick test around the DC Voltage points (not all of them, but randomly) in the diagram shows they are correct.
using a wave generator on a computer the output of the L channel is almost exactly 1/3 the full wave of the Right channel.
The only thing that is differing is the DC offset at points 801/802 where the signal is the same amplitute on both, but 801(L) has 0v dc offset and 802(R) has +0.15v offset and the signal amplitute of 0.1v p-p on both.
measuring the voltages at the transistors x1-x1 reveal correct DC voltages as in the schematic. I swapped the input path at 801/802 (wired) to see if it was a problem before the power stage, but made no difference, and though one of the elna 1000u caps was stuffed (as it was a bit wobbly) I replaced it and didn't make any difference - so swapped it back, they are hughe Elna caps.
pulled out a few random resistors I thought might look like trouble, but with no fault, or variation found.

Any help would be appreciated, see attached Full Schematic, if it's not detailed enough I can email through the hires scanned image.

you can click on image to take you to picassaweb where you can either download, or view full size.

Also I can really tell if the volume pot is log or linear (it's an old metal alps 100kdual), can you from circuit? as it's noisy and I will be replacing it.

Hi all! i was given an old JVC VN-300 amp, it only has audio output on one channel, in mono mode i have output on both loudspeakers...(have'nt chequed the tape out yet)...does anyone have a clean schematic for this amp? I've found one on Picassa but resolution is way too low....judging from the one channel left alive, the sound is definitly to my liking, making some much more expensive things sound "muddled" and unexciting...thanks in advance!

The JVC VN-300 is a really fantastic amp... i "downgraded" from a Yamaha natural sound amp a few months back for the VN-300 (which i bought at a market for 20$) - the sound like one of the previous posts stated is not muddied, very transparent and clear... i have since added a tube preamp which has warmed up the sound cosiderably... which i think is the only drawback to the amp.

Hi guys, got vn-300 for 15 years or so, worked like a charm. Love it.

Anyway, couple of moths ago I've started to notice some noise on speakers, static ambient noise and when volume is adjusted, creaking sound.
So I figure that volume "dynamic resistor" (or adjustable resistance resistor) rocker (not sure how it called in EN) worn out.
It has a code: 4iC-Qvz1201-005-100kΩBX (and very nice "MIJ")
Anyone can suggest proper replacement part? (I would like to use this amp for another 15 years or so)

I've opened it up and saw that I need a schematics first before I begin :)

Hello,

Is it still possible to have the full sized schematic ??

Thank in advance.

Luckily got original manual that came with it (somewhere in the house) I'll post it as soon as I find it. :D

Hi guys, got vn-300 for 15 years or so, worked like a charm. Love it.

Anyway, couple of moths ago I've started to notice some noise on speakers, static ambient noise and when volume is adjusted, creaking sound.
So I figure that volume "dynamic resistor" (or adjustable resistance resistor) rocker (not sure how it called in EN) worn out.
It has a code: 4iC-Qvz1201-005-100kΩBX (and very nice "MIJ")
Anyone can suggest proper replacement part? (I would like to use this amp for another 15 years or so)

I've opened it up and saw that I need a schematics first before I begin :)

Hello,

Is it still possible to have the full sized schematic ??

Thank in advance.

Got original manual that came with it (somewhere in the house) I'll post it as soon as I find it. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.