NAIM 250 repair help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

I have a NAIM NAP 250 amp that’s about 15 years old. I’ve had it modified—vishay resistors, protection circuitry removed—so NAIM North America won’t touch it. It has developed distortion in one channel, and I want to get it fixed. I plan to take it to a local place that deals with a broad range of consumer electronics. They seem quite competent and sensitive to my concerns about hi-end sound quality. I have the circuit layout from this site and from the guy in England who recommended the modifications

My questions are:

What specifications does the repair place need to know in order to make sure the amp is operating correctly?

If they need to replace parts—caps and such—what should I recommend they use?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Barry

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Barry,
If your shop of choice doesn't know, use another shop. Use the original product specifications to determine if it's working to spec.

This is very true of part replacement. I can tell you that if they use ECG or NTE parts, they do not know what they are doing. Also, I am very suspicious of the quality of work and knowledge possessed if that shop repairs TV's and small items as well. Different mindset.

One last thing, I do not blame the NAIM distributor for refusing to work on your amplifier in this state. I don't believe that removing the protection circuit was the wisest move you could have made either. I would make the protection circuit functional again if I were you.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.