Tl074, Opa4134, Lme49740

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The balanced to unbalanced converter at the front end of my Perreaux 8000C comes stock with a TL074 quad opamp (only using 2 out of 4 channels) installed.

I decided to try some upgrades to it:

TLE2074 - listed by TI as a significant upgrade to the TL074 - staging was a bit more accurate and bass sharper, but sonically sounded really quite similar to the TL074

When I first installed the OPA4134, it distorted at high preamp volume levels, and the LME49740 distorted at low levels. Fault traced to the Perreaux 1985 method of power supply to the balanced line reciever - dropping +/-112V to 15V using a resistor and Zener. Using the stock resistor, current flow was limited to around 14ma and both the OPA4134 and LME49740 idle at around 20ma. Resistor value was dropped to allow more current flow and problem was solved.

OPA4134 - installed with a DIP-SOIC adapter. Opened out the soundstage and brought in the "laidback Burr Brown sound". Some complain of tubby bass but the bass is really not at all tubby with the Perreaux output stage driving my speakers (11" Focal bass drivers). The real strength here is the timbre of the instruments. My wife (an ex-orchestral musician) came down to the listening room saying that my system was tolerable for the first time ever.

LME49740 - this is a new National low noise opamp release this year and I decided to give it a run. Bass was slightly cleaner than the OPA4134, but trebles verged on sibilant - I suspect many would call this "accurate"

After extended listening, I have left the OPA4134 in. The timbre of the instruments is so much closer to live music in my system than most systems that I have listened to. The LME49740 sounded cleaner initially and more detail was immediately apparent, but the treble was too prominent in my setup.

I guess the next thing will be to try something like the OPA627 or possibly the new OPA827, as I seem to like the Burr Brown sound best.

Hi Ztan,
try using a dual with a convertor to fit the 14pin DIL.
The two channels will run a little bit cooler and take less out of the resistor/Zener combination.
Once you have the two channel conversion sorted, that opens up the chip options.
Check to see if unity gain stability is required. Most duals are stable but there are a few that are not eg. opa2228.

AndrewT said:
Hi Ztan,
try using a dual with a convertor to fit the 14pin DIL.
The two channels will run a little bit cooler and take less out of the resistor/Zener combination.
Once you have the two channel conversion sorted, that opens up the chip options.
Check to see if unity gain stability is required. Most duals are stable but there are a few that are not eg. opa2228.

Running a dual converter to fit the 14DIL or 2x OPA627 was my next step. I'm also probably going to go to a dedicated power supply to see if getting the Zener out of the power supply makes a difference.

Anyone tested the OPA827 prototypes yet?

I am sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I didn't want to catch an ear full for creating a new thread without searching for an existing one. :)

Does anyone on here know where I can buy the LME49740 OPAMPS without buying bulk? The min on Digikey is 165 and I need 1/10th of that for R&D.

Thanks!

Jesse

Rochester Electronics?

In stock but $100 min order. Perhaps you can find some other parts that are worthwhile?

Time for a group buy? Seems like others might want to join in. Myself for example.

Let us know what you find.

Randall

Here is an update on the Rochester Electronics website. It is a 250.00 min order for that product. They don't tell you until you get to the shopping cart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.