preamp cable ? fet ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
partyjups ,

I have built this circuit ( or at least a very similar one ) using a 2N3819 j-fet in place of the J-201.

my observations:

don't expect much gain ( if any! ), the forward transconductance of the 2N3819 is about 5.5mS ( the 201 is even worse at <1mS) , so with a bit of luck you may get 3dB or so, depending on your resistor choices.

The thing works brilliantly as a high impedance buffer - you can increase the input resistor beyond 3Meg if you really want a high impedance input !

Don't try to drive the thing from much more than 12-15v if you use the 2N3819 or you'll risk it breaking down, some J-fets's will take a higher voltage drive. watch this if you are using Phantom power from a mixer board 'cos the standard level is 48v so you'd need a zener/resistor/cap to limit this.

the sound quality with the 2N3819 is quite impressive, I use it as a buffer for the expensive pickup in my acoustic guitar and it is completely noise-free when run off a 9volt battery.

you can get higher gain at the expense of a bit of noise and a slight hi-frequency roll-off if you bypass R3 with a cap of around 1 - 2 uF.

If you need more gain, try using the J309 which has a forward transconductance of about 10 mS
HTH

ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.