ETI 477 article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks

Well given that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I'm quite flattered.

There's a kit of my take of the AEM6000, available at Connexelectronic

That's kinda cool. I wonder how many people have made them?

Hi Suzy,

I have only recently stumbled across the diyAudio forums and was delighted to see the various discussions about amplifier design.

Thanks for doing such a great job with my old 6000 topology.

cheers
Dave

Hello David T, and welcome to DiyAudio. Please note that the above post from suzyj is dated in 2009, and that her last appearance on the forum seems to have been the middle of 2010, so it is unlikely that she will get to read your post.

Never mind... plenty of other interesting debate for you to get stuck into, especially in the Solid State section.

Hello David T, and welcome to DiyAudio. Please note that the above post from suzyj is dated in 2009, and that her last appearance on the forum seems to have been the middle of 2010, so it is unlikely that she will get to read your post.

Never mind... plenty of other interesting debate for you to get stuck into, especially in the Solid State section.

Thanks Jen,

The forums look very interesting! I am not sure how much time I will have to post once the Crissy holidays are over, but I will try to make some time. There are a lot of very interesting discussions being held.

Hopefully Suzy will get my message, she has done a nice job of bringing the power amp into the 21st century;)

Cheers
Dave

Hello David,

Welcome to the forums! Ah so nice to see the author of one of my favorite teenaged EE projects here. I still have my old ETI amp sitting somewhere in the storeroom at my mom's house. Brings back old memories.

Suzyj's version sure is inspiring. Good objective approach, well engineered. I might just dust off the bag of Hitachi LatFETs I've been keeping for nearly 10 years for a variant.

Not cool at all for Connexelectronic to copy Suzyj's design. Hoped they at least asked first.

Again, so glad to "meet" you.

Hello David,

I might just dust off the bag of Hitachi LatFETs I've been keeping for nearly 10 years for a variant.
Again, so glad to "meet" you.

Thanks Arius! Good for you hanging on to those FETs... A lot of really good audio components have vanished over the years.

I am more than a little cranky with Toshiba for discontinuing my favorite jFETs, the 2SJ72/73 and 2SK146/147. None of the FET manufacturers seem to be doing a matched p-channel pair any more. Very frustrating!

Cheers
Dave

The Man himself, hello and welcome to this corner of the looney bin..

I can see it now..

"Oh Mr Tilbrook, did you ever work out any later mods for the 6000 amp ?"

Actually, other than the dc offset daughter board, did you ?? :D

No, I never took the 6000 any further I am afraid. I got involved in a number of other projects, one of which I was thinking of updating and posting here in case there was interest in a FET preamplifier, but it is turning out to be hard to get some of the FETs.

Cheers
Dave

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi David
I think many on DIYaudio forum go through that painful realisation about JFET disappearance and have been squirreling ancient Toshiba complementary types away.
There is a Vendor Forum for such "hard to gets" in TO92 packages here on the front page of DIYaudio for just such a project. They are not necessarily greatly expensive and matching is possible too.

Alternatively, some are turning to SMD types as mounted to adaptor boards or simply having a PCB properly laid out to suit. LSK 389 and complement for high gain/low noise applications have been referred to here often and there are arrays of course.

US forum member CBS240 seems to be well apprised of the necessary measures with available types. 'Hoping this is of some encouragement to you as we wouldn't like to miss the opportunity of your contribution. Looking forward to seeing more of you.

Hi Everyone

I know this is old topic , but I need the article Of the AEM6000 poweramp to finish it after it stay in box deep inside the garage for .. say 20 years, to cut long story short , I 've built a number of AEM magazine in around 1988 through Jaycar Gore Hill, they were The digital era vifa 3 way speaker this done and still work until now, the pre amp used discrete component , and last the AEM 6000 power amp, but during construction of power amp i had kid .., then life become busy , woking working , pay mortgage ..the project were abandoned inside my bro garage , now kid grrow up, I have myself sometime to dig the pow out , but unfortunately i've lost all articles about it , anyone here can point me to a article about aem6000 power amp,I know it is old tech but i just want to finish it.
Your help is appreciated

Regards
Meganinja

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Meganinja, If you are in Sydney and you know which months/years the articles were in, you can pop into the State Library and make photocopies of the relevant articles.

They have archives of pretty much ALL Australian magazines. I did this to get the original articles for my Playmaster series 200 which only came with the DSE modified instructions.

Tony.

Hi Everyone

I know this is old topic , but I need the article Of the AEM6000 poweramp to finish it after it stay in box deep inside the garage for .. say 20 years, to cut long story short , I 've built a number of AEM magazine in around 1988 through Jaycar Gore Hill, they were The digital era vifa 3 way speaker this done and still work until now, the pre amp used discrete component , and last the AEM 6000 power amp, but during construction of power amp i had kid .., then life become busy , woking working , pay mortgage ..the project were abandoned inside my bro garage , now kid grrow up, I have myself sometime to dig the pow out , but unfortunately i've lost all articles about it , anyone here can point me to a article about aem6000 power amp,I know it is old tech but i just want to finish it.
Your help is appreciated

Regards
Meganinja

Hey there, I have the full set of articles, if interested, give me a bit and I'll copy/scan them for you.
What state are you in ?
I'm in brisbane.
PM me your email and i'll get back to you asap ;)

Hi Suzy,

I have only recently stumbled across the diyAudio forums and was delighted to see the various discussions about amplifier design.

Thanks for doing such a great job with my old 6000 topology.

cheers
Dave

It's my pleasure. It really is pretty-much the definitive latfet design, and I love mine to bits. They've been annoying my neighbours in both my loungeroom and studio for a good few years now.

Thanks to you, not only for coming up with so many wonderful audio projects back in the ETI and AEM days, but also for being one of the people who ignited the spark and prompted my career choice. I confess to having pestered many a newsagent as a kid, impatiently waiting for my ETI fix.

Cheers,

Suzy

I'm still using D.T's MM stage from February 1982's ETI

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And currently re-boxing my ETI-5000! I was in high school when I first made it, and wasn't too good with the cabinet cosmetics. I want to make it sexy now.

ETI was a great mag; I should say *is*, I still have all mine & do refer back to them on occasion.

No, I never took the 6000 any further I am afraid. I got involved in a number of other projects, one of which I was thinking of updating and posting here in case there was interest in a FET preamplifier, but it is turning out to be hard to get some of the FETs.

Hi David,

Deliighted to see you on here. I'm another fan (probably of Suzy's generation) that grew up lusting after your amp designs. To this day I still think the 6000 is my favourite power amp and I too have some Renesas (Hitachi) 162/1058s stashed away and have been planning to do my own 6000 PCB layout as, while Suzy's version looks wonderful, I wanted to stick with the higher power and through-hole components. I must confess to really liking the sound of the 5000 too, though not as much...

The reason I'm writing is I still have the line stage of your UF 6000 preamp. I never really thought it was as good as the power amp, and not long ago I decided to see if I could work out why. I believe it is perhaps not as stable as it should be as it shows quite pronounced ringing on square waves. I found this both in simulation and measuring the actual preamp with a 'scope. I also discovered a track missing in one channel of the original PCB, which probably didn't help...

Anyway, I played around in spice with different forms of compensation and found the the best looking result by ditching the input compensation (1n8 + R) and instead slugging the next differential stage with a 68pF cap across C-B of each transistor of the diff pair. This seemed to tidy things up nicely in the real circuit, with no visible signs of overshoot or ringing on square waves.

Unfortunately this was very much trial and error on my part, I don't have the necessary skills and knowledge to really know if this method of compensation is optimum, but it does seem to sound quite a lot better now. I'd be stoked if you could have a quick look at my mods and see if you think this is really a good idea. I don't have the means to measure distortion, but it certianly looks very low in simulation. I've attached the simulation screen grabs and can of course send the files if you're interested. The waveforms look identical on the 'scope. Please don't feel in any way obliged though, you've probably got much better things to be doing.

Do you think it's still a topolgy worth playing with? Douglas Self and others seemed to have dismissed the differential VAS as flawed in their publications. I'm curious to know whether the FET preamp you mentioned is based around that sort of discrete opamp toplogy?

Cheers, and also many thanks for the inspiration,
owdeo

Attachments

• orig sch.png
    orig sch.png
    76 KB · Views: 288
  • orig.png
    orig.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 275
  • mods sch.png
    mods sch.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 253
  • mods.png
    mods.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 239
I'm still using D.T's MM stage from February 1982's ETI

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And currently re-boxing my ETI-5000! I was in high school when I first made it, and wasn't too good with the cabinet cosmetics. I want to make it sexy now.

ETI was a great mag; I should say *is*, I still have all mine & do refer back to them on occasion.

hey I still have that pcb, I bought it when I lived in Brisbane when I lived there back in the early 80's never did finish it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.