hafler amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hafle amp

Hi! I have a hafler amp 9505 transnova that wont give me any sound but powers up can someone tell me what may be wrong? and if there is a place to buy parts to repair it? and that if you guys think that I can repair it miself thanks in advance for your kind help

Do you have a schematic?? Have you looked inside for Burned out components?? Do you have the test gear(scope ,Tone generator, ect) to troubleshoot the problem??? Have you checked the simple things like Fuses??

You are going to probably need some of these things to find out what the problem is and haveing some electronics Knowlege would also help......

There are several things that can happen in an amp that will over time cause it to Fail, and asking a question like "My amp doesn"t work" Why?? isn"t going to get you a lot of responces as the problem could be anything......

If the answer to these questions are mostly "No" then It might just be easier to Get someone with the knowhow to fix it for you....

Good luck

there is lots of places to buy parts ( digikey.com , mouser.com etc...) but that really isn't going to help you if you don't know what is wrong. Not to be rude but it sound like you don't have much experience in troubleshooting circuits, this can be very dangerous when working on a power amp and not knowing what to be careful of. IMHO I would recommend maybe taking of the cover (WITH THE UNIT UNPLUGGED/POWERED OFF ) and see if there are an visible problems ex. burnt components, loose wire's, poorly soldered wires etc... There are lots of things that could be problematic, without a schematic or some base knowledge i would recommend leave it up to someone who has these tools.

All the best

Dave

Schematics are available from Hafler.com or atleast i know all the older amps are there, so i would assume the newer service books are there as well.

The rest of the people give good advice, either read everything you can find on safety, troubleshooting and amplifier design, and attempt fixing your amp or find someone who has the know-how to do the job.

I'm with Dave on this one. I could be wrong but it sounds like you don't really have the skills/knowledge/abilities and equipment for that matter to troubleshoot down to the component level. My car won't start... where can I get parts? well like your amp, I can get parts just about anywhere but what parts? why won't the car start? many many many causes. This is a pretty nice amp and worth repairing so I wouldn't go messing with it. What you CAN do I believe is some BASIC troubleshooting. Unless you have already.... check if its even the amplifier. I've seen numerous times where complaint is "amp powers up but no sound" only to find that it was a source problem like a CD player or Pre-amp prob.... So go over basic things like cabling and connections. Is signal gettin to the amp? If after your 100% certain your gettin signal to the amp then let a professional examine it. My 20 cents worth :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.