CK-KumisaIII amp output transistor replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build this nice headphone amp, designed by Benny Jørgensen and improved by Cavalli and Kan, it seems to me to be a very nice headphone amp!

(More infos are here by the way)

However it uses BD139/BD140 as output transistors, and I read recently that only the original Philips parts are recommended (long discontinued), so I thought of using the OnSemi MJE15030 instead.

What do you think? Is this a suitable (or better) replacement?

Just wasting money?

Cheers, Hannes

PS:
Datasheet MJE15030

I suggest that you go and and make a post aboutthis over at Headwize.com where the official support thread for the CKKIII is. The middle K in the CKKIII frequents that board regularly and would be able to give you a very well informed opinion.

Thanks for your reply!

It's just that I'm not registered over there and I'm too lazy to do so now.

However I contacted K and he suggests the MJE243/253. Above stated MJE15030 have incompatible pin-out by the way.

Cheers, Hannes

PS: the support is really outstanding! I just mailed him and got immediate and helpful reply!

Just by looking at datasheets I would guess that a BD179/BD180 should also be very nice; it has a low Ft of 3 MHz though (the original BD139 from Philips had 160 Mhz, however the datasheets of BD139 made by other different manufacturers don't state a Ft at all).

So I anyone could tell me the gain of the output stage I would know how that would affect bandwidth (I would guess that it doesn't matter at all).

Cheers, Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.