One amp for speakers and sub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2003, 10:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SsZERO Send a message via AIM to SsZERO
Question One amp for speakers and sub?

Is it possible to have an amplifier which can power a 400-500W sub plus two 100W speaker channels without distortion or noise issues? Is this a specific type of amplifier or can it not be done? My goal is to power a system using as little space as possible, without compromising quality. I would like this amp to be able ot fit into a 14" sub enclosure, so it has to be about 10 x 10 x 3 " or smaller.

-= SsZERO =-
Old 26th January 2003, 03:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try rockford fosgate, lotsa bang for there size
Old 26th January 2003, 04:49 PM   #3
deuey is offline deuey  Canada
diyAudio Member

You are talking car audio ?
The answer is yes.But alot of times you will need another crossover.
I have a Jensen with a built in crossover that will run either the sub or two mid/highs. In order to run all three it requires another crossover for the sub.
Old 26th January 2003, 05:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

True but the crossover for the sub would be an inductor which you could mount in the box, or go for a four channel..
Old 26th January 2003, 08:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is not for car audio, I am planning to use it for my computer speakers. Available space around my computer is low, so I need to make a system that uses as little space as possible.

So basically I would just have to add a crossover circuit to the channel that powers the sub? Now would it be better to have this crossover include the mid/high channels, so the bass would be directed to the sub and the mid/high frequencies go directly to the L/R speakers?

Would it be possible to mount the crossover, along with volume and tone controls, in a seperate unit which I could have on my desk? OR would this all have to be in the same place?

-= SsZERO =-
Old 26th January 2003, 08:19 PM   #6
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Why on earth do you want 400-500W for a sub on your computer speakers? I run my professional three ways at 300W each and literally makes the furniture move around the house. My 10" sub running at 150W true RMS makes the neighbor's dishes rattle in the cupboard... I wouldn't even think of running my sub a 400-500W unless I wanted to use it outside for a large gig.

Also, 100W a channel doing only mid and high will be loud enough to kill your hearing very fast. Unless you have fairly inefficient speakers or you want to break glass you shouldn't need that much power.

What kind of sub are you using anyway?
Old 26th January 2003, 08:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

More power does not = louder. A system with more power can perform better at high and low volume levels, and with a good amp that has low THD, well, that just makes it better.

The sub I plan to use is a dual 8" ported unit, where each driver is rated to handle about 250W RMS / 400 W Peak. The enclosure is designed any built by me. The left and right speaker drivers I plan to use are rated at 100W RMS / 180W peak.

I use my computer for listening to music quite often, and having a kickin' high power speaker system is just what I want. And games these days have impressive soundtracks as well...better speakers mean a better gameplaying experience, at least for me.

-= SsZERO =-
Old 26th January 2003, 08:49 PM   #8
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
if you want lower bass, use a bigger speaker 10inch, or 12, rather than 2 speakers.... No, you can't use the one stereo amp to run 3 speakers... and am yet to see an 8inch sub rated at 250watts RMS, but thats probably just me.... higher power does mean louder... and high power system is going to perform the same at low volumes as a low power system at high volumes.... plus, what is your definition of low? for your mids and highs, I say 50watts per channel would be enough, and 100 for th sub...
Old 26th January 2003, 09:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

First of all, simply because you CAN play the system with a 500W power level does NOT mean it will ALWAYS be playing at that power level. If you have the volume set low, the amount of power being generated will NOT be 500W. It's called a VOLUME knob, you may want to look into the fascinating world of volume knobs. It is amazing what those things can do...

Secondly, the question is not, "How much power should I have in my system", it is: "Can I use one amp to power L/R and sub channels". You can also note that I did not ask how to get "lower bass", as the dual 8" drivers I am using will provide the ideal SPL at the frequency I want.

So far, the answer has been YES, using a crossover. Now my last question was how to set up the crossover within the amp. I DID NOT ask for opinions of whether this is "too much" power or not.

Please answer my questions helpfully, or do not reply to this thread with off-topic nonsense.

-= SsZERO =-
Old 26th January 2003, 09:22 PM   #10
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Actually, I believe the answer is no... not if you want to power the sub with 500watts and the surrounds with 100, you could get something like a 200watt amp (WHICH IS ENOUGH) and do a 3way system but with the woofers in seperate enclosures to the mids and tweeters, then run seperate wires to the speaker boxes with the crossovers in the amp... its the only practical way of doing what you want to do... you seem to know what you are talking about, but you also don't seem to know what you are talking about.. lol, no offence, we are all like that lol...

Hide this!Advertise here!