About a capacitor between the drivers in somes amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The purpose of your r17 / c3 components is to avoid cross conduction commonly called switching distortion due to sluggishness caused by capacitance in output stage power transistors. If you assume that a positive voltage swing has just occured leaving a positive charge at the base of Q2. As the voltage from the VA swings negative, the voltage at the emitter of Q8 must already be 0.67 volt more negative than the emmitter of Q3 in order to overcome Q3's Vbe drop. As current begins to flow through R5 , it also begins to drop a negative voltage, which is corrected at Q8's emitter, increasing the negative potential. This small negative potential is applied to the base of Q2 through R27 and C7 (speed up capacitor). The negative potential forces the positive charge carriers to be rapidly sucked out of Q2's base and results in rapid turn off. The opposite is true for the next cycle.

What is the use of the capacitor C7 between the driver of some power amp ?

Actually, the purpose of the capacitor C7 is to guarantee that the voltage between the bases of the positive and negative output devices remains constant. Most amplifiers employ some type of output biasing circuit to minimize crossover distortion where neither the positive nor negative device would otherwise be in conduction. The biasing voltage needs to remain at a fixed voltage independent of the voltage swing. C7 serves the purpose of holding that bias voltage constant.

This particular amplifier example probably uses a constant current source to drive bias resistor and therefore to generate a fixed bias voltage. Another popular circuit is the Vbe multiplier which consists of a voltage divider driving the base of a BJT. In this case it is also usual to include a 0.1 - 1.0 uf capacitor between the emitter and collector of the Vbe multiplier transistor.

Analog Guy,

I think you may have this cap mixed up with a VBE multiplier bypass cap in which you speak of, in that case it helps regulate voltage and benefits the VBE transistors stability. In the case of C7 it is a charge suckout cap helpiing speedup the switching off of the output bases in a Class A/B amplfier. There are those who say this doesnt make a difference with +/- rails, namely Leach, but i have found it personally to make a big difference sonically.

Colin

Hi,
we have the cap between the output bases being dicussed here.
We also have the cap between the pre-driver bases (=cap across CE of Vbe multiplier).
When using a triple EF stage with a separate EF driver between the outputs and the pre-drivers, is there a benefit in adding a cap across the driver bases?
It seems that the first EF and third EF have the cap, why not the second EF stage?

vynuhl.addict said:
There are those who say this doesnt make a difference with +/- rails, namely Leach, but i have found it personally to make a big difference sonically.

Like you, I disagree with Leach. The effects of this capacitor can be even verified with simple spice sim. Most of them are also masked by the negative feedback. My experiences with the particular capacitor are:

1. It has a distinctive effect only when the amplifier is clipping
2. A claim that it would improve clipping recovery is false
3. It degrades the circuit operation when the amplifier is driving purely resistive load
4. It smoothes out the beginning portion of clipping (similarly as slew rate reduction) and removes strange "spiky" signal transients that may appear during clipping in amplifiers that do not have the capacitor. This happens only when the amplifier is driving a load similar to speaker.
5. I couldn't detect any significant difference in operation between dual and single rail amplifiers
6. Different semiconductors and capacitor values give different results in behavior so it's difficult to say anything definitive about this issue. One has to experiment to find the perfect combination - be it with the capacitor or without.

teemuk said:

Like you, I disagree with Leach. The effects of this capacitor can be even verified with simple spice sim. Most of them are also masked by the negative feedback. My experiences with the particular capacitor are:

1. It has a distinctive effect only when the amplifier is clipping
2. A claim that it would improve clipping recovery is false
3. It degrades the circuit operation when the amplifier is driving purely resistive load
4. It smoothes out the beginning portion of clipping (similarly as slew rate reduction) and removes strange "spiky" signal transients that may appear during clipping in amplifiers that do not have the capacitor. This happens only when the amplifier is driving a load similar to speaker.
5. I couldn't detect any significant difference in operation between dual and single rail amplifiers
6. Different semiconductors and capacitor values give different results in behavior so it's difficult to say anything definitive about this issue. One has to experiment to find the perfect combination - be it with the capacitor or without.

Hello

Are you talking about the capacitor C7 between the driver ?

Thank

Gaetan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.