Got a HK Citation 16 service manual or schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Back to the drawing board...

The plot thickens... it seems the PCB/parts layout diagram and the schematic, both found in the same service manual, are completely different circuits.

The schematic and parts list shows an op-amp in the input section, the PCB layout shows a dual-transistor with many added discrete components instead of the op-amp.

So now i'm stuck. I planned on creating my own PCBs from the component layout (I have created a new PCB layout), but if the schematic and parts list don't correlate, there's not much chance in finding the right parts.

Why you ask, might I want to do this? Well, a while back you may remember a fellow posted a message here saying something like "Anyone want my HK Citation 16 rebuilding project? It's in pieces. First responder gets it." That was me, and I've got it.

Unfortunately, when it arrived, the main "driver" circuit boards were missing in action. So I says to myself, "no biggy, just burn new boards based on the parts layout diagram since they're single-sided, and the toughest part will be substituting some of the obsolete parts. Sounds like fun."

Cr@p. So here I sit broken hearted. Got my chassis, transformers and output sections, and can't get started.

Anyone got the schematic for the discrete version of this amplifier? I started reverse engineering the PCB traces, but without part values, that's pretty hopeless. Maybe someone has a real Citation 16 discrete driver board they can read off all the values for me. :whazzat:

...Todd

I've got one here. It says: "CITATION SIXTEEN SERIES A sm", is a little over 2Mb. If it has any interest, just drop me a valid email address, and it will come your way.
( You are absolutely right Taj, i too hate paying for something others had for free, that's why i collect SM's and schematics, that way i'm able to help others in this forum, who has been nice and helpful to me)

best regards
Ebbe

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Yeah, I tried that too, DJK, with similar results.

I did find some pictures from the correct manual with the correct schematic and parts list though, so I'm back in business. That is, until I start trying to figure out how to obtain or substitute some of these transistors.

Thanks ES44, I'll be in touch!

..T

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I recently had a ~30 year old HK Citation 16 on the bench,
and was pleased to see that it measures as good as the
day it was made.

Here's a distortion vs power curve at 1 KHz and 8 ohms:

Attachments

• hk16damp.gif
    hk16damp.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.