Simple MOSFET amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
the standard 7812 with common connected to 0v is a series regulator.

Your PSU with a 12Vac transformer and 12Vdc regulated output should work.

For 600mA output you require at least 1200uF smoothing. But probably better with 4700uF.
Measure the Vac from the regulator input to ground and from the regulator output to ground. Most DMMs operate in this mode, but a few don't. All three of mine from different manufacturers pass this test.
Remove the load and measure the Vac and Vdc at the input and output of the regulator.

The 50VA transformer can supply upto 1Adc from it's 2Aac rated secondaries. If wired correctly this should be OK and should not overheat on 600+600mAdc.

BTW, post 41 should have said "what is series and shunt regulation"

Drop from FWB=1.4V
Drop from regulator=2.5V
Drop from series pass transistor=.7V

Total drop=4.6V

To maintain 12V out the minimum input voltage needs to be on the order of 16.6V when the line drops to zero every 8.3mS/10mS, 60hz/50hz.

A fudge factor should probably be added for low line voltage.

Nordic said:
Sorry to bug you, would LM317 be a better candidate for this small drop?
I look forward to your informative post every day....
I was aware of everything you said about the 12v reg, I just didn't think I was that close to its threshold.....

AndrewT and djk gave you some excellent answers. The thing is that most DVMs will give you a false sense of what is going on if you only measure DC. AndrewT has also given youa way to measure the AC ripple, most DVM will work that way, and measure peak to peak ripple, but keep in mind they will show a value that is 1.41 times less, because they are calibrated to show effective voltages for sinewaves, yet measure peak voltages.

Regarding LM317, it has roughly the same dropout performance as the 7812 but yu have the added bonus that it's output voltage is adjustable. If you can't satisfy dropout requirements at 12V output, you can easily try 11V or 10V - not so easy with the 7812 :)
LM317 has several low drop-out variants, most popular would be the LT108x series from linear technology. You can sometimes find these on old computer motherboards (486 and Pentium I). normally they are drop-in replacements for LM317.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.