cap conditioning question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
man i read it all over but dont think i've seen a logical answer or reason why. What exactly is breaking in caps? I mean they are built to do what they do, so what actually happens to the cap when it is broken in? Something physically changes internally? An internal chemical reaction? What?
I guess for me to understand this breaking in "theory" the cap would have to change internally, physically or chemically.

ps not trying to start something crazy debate. just want to know what happens to the cap when it is considered broken in.;)

in electrolytic caps, it got something to do with it's structure and chemical I guess. In case you never heard it, try panasonic FC in your power supply, listen to the difference after 15 minutes of operation.

in plastic caps, I think it's mostly healing of the dielectric.

"And this only happens once with FC's? also have you heard other caps that took longer?"

actually other panasonic electrolytics in signal path also behave the same in my experience. This might not only happens once, the longer the equipment is not used, the "break-in" need to be redone, hence my dislike for blackgates.

Hartono

Hi MikeFarad,

"If I'm correct, what would be the best cap to use in equipment used only intermittently?"

foil caps. some high voltage/current metalized ones might be ok after proper break in. I stick to foil caps whenever I can( in some case could be expensive). low power normal electrolytics is also ok, as this will be "formed" really fast (around 15 minutes for panasonic caps) maybe this is one of the practical reason many hifi gear still use them.

Hartono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.