Has anybody successfully built any Bryston power amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Renx is offline Renx  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Question Has anybody successfully built any Bryston power amps?

Hi,
I have been reading through a couple of posts on building Bryston clones, and was wondering if anybody has successfully done it. So far I have seen that only djmiddelkoop has done it, and that post is more than 3 years old. I am wondering how much it costs, how does it sound (compared to the original) and so on.
I am thinking of giving a go at 3B SST, but since I'm a beginner in electronics, it will probably take me pretty long (I just recently found out that doa68 wasn't a commercial op amp, but brystons it's schematic is also available on bryston site).
Anyway, I am currently sourcing the parts for this unit ...
Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Renx!
Old 5th June 2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
First thing to get in mind when trying to clone a Bryston amp is how do
u design a really good PCB layout as a more than usuall feedback loops are going around at the output stages!
Old 5th June 2007, 07:34 AM   #3
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Renx,

IMHO it is not a good idea to copy Bryston as your 1st project. Collect several years of experience and then you may try it.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replys!
I have only slim experience in building hi-end solid state pre amps, but none in power amps!
I was thinking of drawing a circuit in electronics workbench and then use it's tools to automatically generate a pcb. I know that it doesn't all ways come out good, but I think it's worth a try. And if by any chance I succeed, this forum will have another great project!
By the way, can anybody tell me the difference between PN100 and the PN100A transistor, since I couldn't find any from the Fairchild's technical specs pdf.

Renx.
Old 5th June 2007, 01:18 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Generally an automated PCB for a power amplifier would be a disaster.

You should build a tried and tested power amplifier design first, there
are far too many pitfalls for the unwary, and a self destructing power
amplifier is what is known as not a lot of fun.

Something like this :

http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/jknamps.html

/sreten.
Old 5th June 2007, 03:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you Sreten for pointing this out to me, I hope mine doesn't blow up!
I am not giving up...

Renx.
Old 5th June 2007, 03:45 PM   #7
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

Renx:

along the lines of advice from PMA, a better project at this point would be a Leach amp. PCBs are available and most of the errors have already been made and diagnosed.

maybe even a chip amp or two would be an even better starter project ...

good luck!

mlloyd1
Old 6th June 2007, 01:01 AM   #8
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Quote:
Originally posted by Renx

By the way, can anybody tell me the difference between PN100 and the PN100A transistor, since I couldn't find any from the Fairchild's technical specs pdf.

Renx.
A:higher HFE.
Old 6th June 2007, 03:01 AM   #9
ppfred is offline ppfred  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't get it.
Every time that someone decides to start a project we always hear from the nabobs of negativism, the nay-sayers - why one shouldn't do a particular project.
Please... This is an amateur DIY effort and the only way to learn anything is by failing and re-trying. If you succed the first time out you haven't learnt anything - it was just ****-luck!
I really don't understand what their problem is. Design and build the bloody thing. If it doesn't work re-design and re-build the thing. And if that doesn't work re-...
It'll take time and effort and money. Besides the learning experience you'll have fun doing it. Do not listen to these pseudo experts.
If you need to learn how to solder, then by all means do buy a "debugged" PCB such as the Leach Amp. But in the end other than becomming an expert in soldering, what have you learned?
And as you proceed in your endeavour you could post your questions, mistakes, etc., and I'm sure you'll get real advice from real DIYers and real experts, amateur and professional alike. Who knows, you might even get to improve on the Bryston.

Good luck and don't let these people discourage you - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
fred p.
Old 6th June 2007, 04:27 AM   #10
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

i disagree.

at least speaking for me, what i intended to convey are words of encouragement to help get off to a successful start, thus creating more confidence and energy to learn and do more.

having had some experience in engineering education, i have seen early success go a LONG way to igniting some long burning fire for some younger, interested folks.

in addition to increasing odds of having a working amp and decreasing odds of generating burned out parts for the trash, the leach amp, as an example, has excellent educational supporting documentation.

don't misunderstand me; there is no question that burning your fingers helps you learn. however, all learnings don't have to come from pain.

mlloyd1

Hide this!Advertise here!