Carver PM 1.5 fans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi srfrench67,
If he needs schematics, then he is just confident. Unfortunately, I do not think you've found the right tech. Sorry to say that. He may be great on the brands he is servicing, but a Carver is a different beastie all together. He doesn't know what he is getting into.

Hey Joe,
Some of those later models started using an FET to switch supplies. It was not rated properly and a higher current model was needed. They would always fail short and "stick" the commutated voltage on. This would overheat and possibly blow other components. This was nearer to the end when I think Bob Carver had already left the company. The larger FET solved the problem. With a 4 ohm load and all that power, I can see a 100% failure. They should have recalled all your units for service.

Carver's do not belong in a home environment unless really high power is required. Then the AC supply has to be up to the task. With that much power, a 15A circuit per amp is recommended. It's the same thing as a commercial application, except in homes the power requirement is usually not met. This would be the same for any big amp, except the preregulation feature really suffers when the AC supply isn't up to the task.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, I shall search onward, I am going to try Nashville , Tenn. as the guy I told you of is the only one in my area that does work on pro audio amps. Does Sunfire do repair on Carver amps or do they just sell their own, I read somewhere that Bob Carver is associated with them ?

Hi srfrench67:

Let us know what you find out from Sunfire. I too have a few Carver units in my "to-work-on-sometime" projects rack :D Most have been rescued after blotched repair attempts by inexperienced techs.

I agree with Chris - do NOT select a Technician who is not familiar with Carver. However, if you do need the Service Manual & schematics for the PM 1.5 let me know, I will be happy to email them to you.

Mayank

Thanks Mayank, I would like to get the manual and schematics for my own referance if possible, I am checking in the Nashville Tennessee area now for a place familiar with the Carver's, I am trying a place called Creation Audio Labs, waiting on a reply, I went on Sunfire's website and they have posted that they were referring all of their older repair requests to Rolland at Hi Tech Audio in Gresham Oregan, I talked to him on the phone, and his rate is $299 US for a complete overhaul plus $30 for return shipping back to Tennessee. Nashville is not looking very promising as of right now, most companies there work on newer equipment (unless you are a guitar player, then you can find about 200 places that are top notch and can repair every type of amp ever made) I am intent on finding a Carver person, I am taking Chris's advice as I want these amps to be right, When I find someone who can do them I will let everyone know. My email is srfrench67@hotmail.com. Thanks, And the serch continues:bawling:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi srfrench67,
I guess they are cuing off the old Carver service departments rates. Darn!

I guess this evens up for losses elsewhere. It's very common to have a Carver hacked and then it shows up as "I just bought it", "just got it off Ebay" and "I sent it into the shop and they had it a year, they said they didn't touch it". In every case the customer is making the shop's life more difficult. Then there is my all time favorite idiot. " I just spend $X on this and I'm not going to spend anything over $Y". At least they tell you in advance that they are unreasonable. My response has always been that I had nothing to do with the amp's history and that he should just junk it right now if he feels that way. Why should I pay for someone else's issue? He could have brought it straight in to me first. These customers just made it harder on everyone else.

If you can't find anyone I can try to help you, but the shipping may make up the difference. Don't even consider UPS into Canada. I truly wish there was a good Carver shop in your area. I was lead to believe that in the 'States, all Carver service went to the factory. In Canada, we had set up a service shop net work. We did our best and still had them messing things up, but at least some of the guys were good and there was a depot in every major area.

Hi Mayank,
Thanks for helping out.

-Chris

Hi srfrench67:

There is a recent recommendation for a repair shop in Austin TX in the Carveraudio forum. It seems they charge an average of $100 - $200 and seem to at least know the Carver M1.0t

Pyramid Audio
305 East Braker Ln
Austin, TX 78753-2746
(512) 458-8292

Try giving them a call.

Mayank

Newbie questions here:
1) Did Pyramid Audio on Braker prove helpful?
2) Does anyone have favorable experience ordering Carver Service manuals from vintageaudiomanuals.com?
3) Is there anyone out there that may still have some replacement fans for a PM1.5? I am currently in need of two.

Reason I asked about Pyramid is that when I lived in Austin, they were afraid of competition, and refused to even sell a copy of a service manual. Thankfully enough, Rita and Mylinda were still around and were as helpful as ever. I got what I needed quick and cheap. Man, I miss them. OH! I just remembered, What set of Service manuals for that series (1.5) should I get that will have the most recent and comprehensive updates in them? Is this an Anatech question? BTW, I'm just a little partial to TX...........

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi obsidian-intrst,
Reason I asked about Pyramid is that when I lived in Austin, they were afraid of competition, and refused to even sell a copy of a service manual.
No they weren't. At some point, releasing the service information was not done.

This was because many shops would write the amps off and charge their customer a fortune for a bungled service job. I can't tell you how many times people called for new power transformers. We would assure them that the transformer was not the problem and explain why. They all seemed to know better. We sold a lot of transformers and every time, the guy called back and accused us of selling defective parts. We even had to put a no return policy in place. The destruction was much lower before manuals were sold.

Every technician had to be an expert on everything. The TV techs were about the worst for that.

-Chris

Hello obsidian-intrst,
I have never got my PM 1.5's repaired as of yet, I found a good deal on a pair of QSC RMX 1450's to get by with for the time being ( I borrowed them from a friend who was not using them, super deal ), I did talk to the guys at Pyramid, then my job changed and I havent had any extra funds to spare for repairing them. I did talk to a guy at a place called Soundsmith in Peekskill New York, and he said they can repair the 1.5 and 1,5a's, Does anyone know anything about these guys? Are they reputible? Their prices didnt seem to bad. You would think that since I live so close to Nashville Tn., Country Music capital of the world, where music is the main business, that someone there would be able to repair the Carver's, not so lucky. As for the service manuals, I have those in electronic format, big thanks to Myank for sending them to me, if you send me an email address, I would be more than happy to send them to you.

P.S. If Anatech lived in the states all the planets and stars would align and he would be our leader ::D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi srfrench67,
The main problem with Carver Service is that they had very few external service depots. They wanted to do most of this in-house. From what I saw in Canada, I think their fears were probably well founded. On the other side of the coin, no service depots means that if the company "goes under", their customers have little to no support.

Another very real problem is that service technicians are a proud lot. The worst of them will say they can fix anything, and attempt that very thing. My feeling is that the better the technician is, the more he or she will admit to their own limitations. The other really scary thing is that most technicians do not have a good understanding of parts and their characteristics. This will lead to trouble almost every time they deviate from the original part numbers. I have a feeling that the bulk of service technicians do not really understand how an amplifier really works either. Never mind the advanced designs, like Carver and many others.

If Anatech lived in the states all the planets and stars would align and he would be our leader
Now, that is a scary thought!

I may have heard of Soundsmith, but I really have no idea how good they might be. Again, look for an ex Carver service depot, or get an idea how the tech you are considering plans to approach the job and what they normally do with these. Check also with the Carver service people to see if their is a place that is closer that they can recommend.

-Chris

Thanks Chris,
My local guy here in Paris was able to repair one of my Carvers, the Triac was the only problem with it and it works great after the repair, however he still insists that the transformers are blown on the other two, and we can find no replacement transformers, so I am going to find someone who has more experience in the Carver amps, he is really good on Crown, Peavy, QSC, Fender, and Mackie and stays covered up with repairs on those, but they arent designed quite like the Carver, even with the manuals and osciliscopes, the Carver really challenged him.
I am not a very electrical guy, I do work on alot of mechanical things, build cars and engines and things like that, so I understand troubleshooting and how things function, and I know there is a big difference in the Carver simply by picking up a QSC that weighs 40 something pounds at 1450watts, then pick up my Carver that weighs only 21 ponuds and produces 1200 watts, that is a big difference. So that tells me the engineering that went into the Carver has to be more advanced than the others, I worked for one band a few years back that had 4 Crown Macrotech 3600's, man those things would break your back trying to pick them up. Anyway, I am starting to get some more money put away and have a few shows comming up this summer, so if I cant find anyone else, I may just send them to Roland in Oregon, I know it is alot of money, but if I send them somewhere and they only half way patch them, then I am out money for nothing, at least I know by sending them to the former Carver people at Hi Tech Audio, they will be repaired right.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi srfrench67,
My local guy here in Paris was able to repair one of my Carvers, the Triac was the only problem with it and it works great after the repair
Often that means there was too much voltage drop, or resistance, in it's AC power supply. Often, running from a generator can do the same thing. These can also take out said generator.
he still insists that the transformers are blown on the other two
99.9% chance he is wrong. They are not transformers in the way they are used. You can not test them the way you might a normal power transformer.
and we can find no replacement transformers
That's because many techs were like yours. They bought up these parts when they were not required. This after being informed about the difference between this and a regular transformer. You can probably find used, but good transformers in repair shops that serviced road concert type amps.
but they arent designed quite like the Carver, even with the manuals and osciliscopes, the Carver really challenged him.
Yes. That has been what I've been saying all along. Your guy isn't a bad tech. He just doesn't understand these amps because they are very different than most everything else. Clair Bros. used the same amps with their name on them.
So that tells me the engineering that went into the Carver has to be more advanced than the others
Very true. That was exactly one of the design goals.
but if I send them somewhere and they only half way patch them, then I am out money for nothing, at least I know by sending them to the former Carver people at Hi Tech Audio, they will be repaired right.
Very true. Too bad more people don't consider these things.
so if I cant find anyone else, I may just send them to Roland in Oregon
There are people around who can properly service these. I wish I could direct you to some.

Think of this. When these amps where new, there is no way they would send them back to the 'States for service. They had to have a service team in Europe somewhere. Try to find out who the old distributor was and locate their old service network if one existed. Failing that, try to find one of their technicians. That will probably work for you.

Sadly, if you were in Canada, I could get them both running again for you. It is not worth the shipping to use me, there must be someone in Europe.

-Chris

Hey Chris,
My bad, I am in Paris Tennessee in the states just an hour out of Nashville Tennessee, the guy who taught me sound engineering and sound reinforcement, used to work for Clair Brothers and supposedly this is where he bought these amps and I got them from him. I have 10 of them, and if he was truthful about where they came from, then these amps have seen thousands of hours of use. & of them work fine, only with some very minimal hums and buzzes, if I can get the broken ones repaired, I would like to have the other ones serviced 1 at a time as funds permit. When these amps are right, they are dead silent with no electrical hums to be heard, and that is the way they used to be, but as they are getting older, I notice a few more little noises that didnt used to be there, like everything, as it gets older certain things just dont work as good as they used too, fortunatly for mechanical and electrical things, we can refurbish them, wish I could do that for myself something like a people repair store maybe.:D

Mayank said:
Hi srfrench67:

Let us know what you find out from Sunfire. I too have a few Carver units in my "to-work-on-sometime" projects rack :D Most have been rescued after blotched repair attempts by inexperienced techs.

I agree with Chris - do NOT select a Technician who is not familiar with Carver. However, if you do need the Service Manual & schematics for the PM 1.5 let me know, I will be happy to email them to you.

Mayank

I use a PM 1.5a for my bass rig. It has problems now that I would like to get repaired. If anyone wants to send me the Service Manual & schematics I am sure that would help. I love the sound of this amp.:)

Carver PM 1.5a

I have my PM 1.5a on the work bench. I love this amp. Its rack mounted for powering my bass rig. I use an Ampeg SVCPL 4 tube pre and Peavey 1810 Cab. I love the sound but the amp needs some help.

So far I have found a bad (shorted cap) to chassis on the fan circuit. Fans are working now. I could use the owners & Service manuals for the PM 1.5a if anyone would like to give them up or trade them for some schematics I have. I have a gig on the 20th Dec 2008. If I can't fix her before that I will opt to buy a Crown XTi1000 and send the Carver to the dump.:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.