THE best subjective sound ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone should know better than to use "Best" in any internet forum title

linking Subjective and Best is asking for nothing but "noise" - not knowledge - the likey motivation is Trolling - trying to spark a meaningless an endless argument

If you are earnest people have had more sucess asking the more answerable "can you hear the difference" question

one result:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=152392#post152392

medogrizli said:
Integrated,
non integrated: MOSFET output stage
non integrated : BIPOLAR output stage ?

Try to explain why, you have such opinion
Also say the name for your favorite

Sorry if off topic

Is very hard to correlate a subjective "best" or simply "good" sound to any technical characterization. That's because if you dig a bit into circuits used, soon you discover that any "simple" characterization is driving you out the road to plain nonsense.
Simply there is not any kind of "components" or "schematic" sound (roughly at least). Any kind of sound is mostly "system" sound where "components" and "schematics" play, imho, a totally subordinated role.

Two key words must be keept in mind in analyzing (or designing) for any kind of sound has to be meet as distinctive goal: one, just spelled before, is "system"; the other is "synergy". Any kind of sound, whatever you want, is a product of a systematic choosing and implementing in circuit of some group of sinergies. This kind of (manly minded) choosing activities is very similar to that what drive in his behaviour a cook in kitchen: before any other step is mandatory establish the final result to be obtained in the dishes: ingredients, cooking times, tools to be used are, in some fashion, secondary, "tactical" aspect of cooking. The "strattegic" one is just the final result you want obtain from your work when come the moment of serving it on dining room.

Audio, especially high-end audio (or "high-subjective audio" as I prefer define it) is not too different from cooking activity: only the kind of "strategical" (sounds instead of tastes) result and "tactical" means available for reaching our goals are different: the main course (and behaviours) to achieve it are substantially the same: first fix an "aestethic" result to get as final and, subsequentely, collect and use the more appropriate (ever on a subjective basis of evaluation) means and practices available for reaching your aestethic goals at the best.

In spite of his mainly "technical" face, the preferring of a kind of sound in place of others is an inherently ludical, aesthetical and hence a bit irrational human activity, even when the "human agent" is a "serious, professional designer/engineer". Only the material devices used and the techniques employed for reaching our ludical target are rational... the target itself IS NOT rational - is just joking and funning ourselves! :)

That is main reason because is very difficult "rationalize" the correlation between sound and equipment used for obtain it: because the ancestor of "engineer choices" are not really rational, especially in audio.

However, if "irrational" side may be appreciated in "big" (and, for other sides, fully reliable!) designers, that's must not became the way for let open doors for any kind of shoddy or trashing design. Just as appreciating the "artistry" side of cooking must not be the way for passing burned steaks just as "exotic new dishes". A bit of plain but rugged "common sense" must be mantained... At least, i hope so! ;)

Hi
Piercarlo

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I think everyone misunderstood the original post of medrogrizli.

He is not looking for "opinions differ", but instead for "your opinion".

My opinion: the best sound I have heard has been when the media (LP, CD) has been of good quality, the amp has been matched to the speakers, and the room treated to help the speakers integrate.

I have heard good solid state (MOSFET and BJT) and vacuum tube based equipment, with separate pre and power amplifiers being the best solution. This seems optimised when the power amplifier is placed close to the speakers and the pre amplifer has the output to drive the longer cables without problem.

I also favour ribbon tweeters, and am quite happy with a touch of harmonics as long as it is low order.

Just my opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.