Marantz 2600 Receiver...counterfeit (or remarked) transistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz 2600 that was bought with a supposedly blown transformer. Upon investigation, looks like the transformer is fine, but there are lots of other problems, including a lots of blown output transistors (the unit has 8 per channel), and numerous blown transistors on the driver boards.

My real problem at the moment are some blown 2SA939 and 2SC2071 TO-126-style transistors.These are pre-drivers, and the amp has +/-105V power rails. The A939 and C2071 are rated for 250V and 50mA, and are reasonably wide bandwidth devices at 100MHz.

I bought some a while back from Consolidated Electronics, since I could not find them anywhere else, and ended up never using them. Well, now I need them...or something like them.

My paranoia comes from the marking of these transistors as compared to the originals (see pic). I think my replacements from Consolidated are junk. No gain group marking on the 939, and to me they just don't look right. Anyone care to comment?

If I decide NOT to use these transistors (and if you've had one of these receivers apart, you know what a nightmare it is, and that you want to get it right the first time), what can I use as a replacement in a TO-126 form factor? I've looked all over, and most of the possible replacements are dog-slow (10MHz or so) compared to these originals...

Any help is appreciated. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Edit: Looks like the leads on the ones from Consolidated are also reversed...BCE instead of ECB. Another sign that I should throw these out.:xeye:

Attachments

• fuji.jpg
    fuji.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 198
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.