Cyrus 3i

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the amp :)

Some more diagnostics:

when in standby I measure up to 7V DC on both outputs.
When turned on output DC goes down to zero.
When in standby again it develops the DC again.

Shouldn't be to hard to repair I think, but what could be the problem?
Any Cyrus experts?
Does someone have a schematic for me?

thanks in advance

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jurriaan,
There is a problem all right. These do not have a relay to disconnect the speakers and normally do not pop. A 7 VDC offset needs to be repaired, don't continue use until it's fixed.

This is not a job I'd recommend that you attempt. There are 24 smt parts that need to be replaced as a proper fix. These are all transistors. You should send it to the factory for this. I do them in Canada. England isn't that far away from you and the guys at the factory do good work.

I used to troubleshoot the leaky transistor, but that is largely a complete waste of time. It is far more prudent to replace all of those things. If you attempt this yourself you must be extremely careful. Some of these parts are hard to get to, and the pads may be lifted if you are not experienced. I hate getting one of these in that have been "struck by technician".

Now for the good news. If done properly by a good Cyrus technician the fault will not reoccur.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jurriaan,
I understand your desire to have it done locally. The most important thing is the skill of the technician. That will have a great bearing on future performance.

I know a good technician there. I'll send him an email to see if he wants to do this ugly job. Understand that seeing one come through the door with this fault does not make me happy. I do them to the best of my ability and it's work.

-Chris

Edit: Request has been sent.

I take your advice very seriously. But I don't have that much money (I'm a student), so I have to consider things wisely.
I hear from your words you love cyrus amps and wish them the best :) and Hugo sounds to me like a nice fellow. So don't be afraid that I let someone mess up my amp ;).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jurriaan,
I am also worried about your money. So save it up and get the job done properly when you are ready. It will cost you more if someone were to make a mess. ;)

You are right that I like Cyrus products. I think they are well designed and sound good. I also have the same concern for many other brands, not only Cyrus.

If this were a job I think you could do, I would have guided you. The problem is that the work is delicate, more so than some other things due to the surface mount parts and tight spacing. Not many people are properly qualified to do this work from what I've seen in the field.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.